slate for tank safe ?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
pointpleco
I've donated: $4.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:52, k:49)
My aquaria list: 30 (i:27)
My BLogs: 29 (i:160, p:1739)
My Wishlist: 131
Spotted: 109
Location 1: adelaide, australia
Location 2: adelaide , australia

slate for tank safe ?

Post by pointpleco »

I know not just any slate is safe to put in a fish tank. But i have heard that if its been out of the ground it came from for a long time it is safer. I have slate (that i will add a photo of later) that is years old, has been just laying around my mums garden. If i clean it good and even soak in boiling water will it then be safe for a tank.
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Re: slate for tank safe ?

Post by Lycosid »

pointpleco wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 20:01 I know not just any slate is safe to put in a fish tank. But i have heard that if its been out of the ground it came from for a long time it is safer. I have slate (that i will add a photo of later) that is years old, has been just laying around my mums garden. If i clean it good and even soak in boiling water will it then be safe for a tank.
Perhaps more important: does the slate have streaks of other minerals in it? These can't really be boiled out, but they are what I hear is dangerous in slate.

Also, boiling rocks has the potential to make them explode, so be careful and think about where the bits would ricochet if that happened. They won't have a lot of energy, but I wouldn't stand right over the pot.
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

Ok thanks for the info, i will look for the mineral streaks and also get a photo today to post later tonight.
Haha that would be bad in the kitchen, i was only going to clean really well in boiled water from kettle.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I still have a slate bottom aquarium made in the 1950s. Slate is very safe to use. Old slate roofing tiles are great for aquascaping, making caves, etc.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
MarcW
I've donated: $150.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

I've also used plenty of slate, for caves, and just decoration for years. I buy it from a local garden centre, it's much cheaper than an aquatic store.

As mentioned look out for streaks of different colours, the only one I have come across is a rust coloured streak which is iron deposits and seems fairly common in slate around here.

I scrub the slate in a bucket with a stiff brush to get any loose bits off then soak in boiling water for 5 mins. I'm not sure if the boiling water is necessary though.
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

I finally found some time to get a few pics. I think a few of them that are thinner and better for what i want look very good and clean. Some of the bigger bits have the rusty colour that i worry about.
I have added a few pics and if anyone knows if they look ok or not.

Thanks for the replies and info, i did think similar things like a good clean with hot water also.

b-)
Attachments
IMG_0427[1].JPG
IMG_0431[1].JPG
IMG_0429[1].JPG
IMG_0426[1].JPG

Return to “Tank Talk”