My porthole catfish are breeding?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Dianema
Location 1: Holland
Location 2: EU

My porthole catfish are breeding?

Post by Dianema »

I have a school of Dianema longibarbis in a community tank, and one of them has built a bubble nest that he/she (which would it be?) is "guarding".
Is there any way to see if there are eggs in there... if they're fertile.... or is it just a nest?

Also if they are eggs when would be the time to put the nest in a breeding box?
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: My porthole catfish are breeding?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

The info on this site in the Cat-elog states that breeding of this fish is unreported. However, it also lists a single breeding report. However, there is an article on this fish written by Jools in 2004 here https://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm ... cle_id=163

There is also and article here on breeding this fish in Shane's World from 2015, Breeding the Porthole Catfish • Article © Torill Nordeide Berge, uploaded January 19, 2015, here https://www.planetcatfish.com/shaneswor ... cle_id=530
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: My porthole catfish are breeding?

Post by Bas Pels »

You could look at reports on breeding Hoplosternum.

I once put a nest of H littorale into a tank, it hatched rather soon, but the fry did not eat. Or better put, I think, that I fed them incorrectly. I had seen the mating, and waited 2 days.
cats have whiskers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”