Are banjo catfish picky eaters? Also a food question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Quokka
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Ansan
Location 2: South Korea

Are banjo catfish picky eaters? Also a food question

Post by Quokka »

Hello,

I saw some banjo catfish at a fish store. I read they are very easy to keep and feed, just very hard to see!

So I asked the clerk, what do they eat? And he says they eat nothing but bloodworms, and they will refuse everything else! Are these a picky bunch or maybe the store is not trying to wean them? Or they would probably eat other foods but only after lights out and when the clerks are not looking?

Also I bought some treats for my corys(which all my catfish, including yes, potential banjo catfish, could enjoy together), JBL Novotab and Hikari Algae Wafers, and after opening the lid of the Novotab it seems like the lid is a bit off, not sure if it can keep air out properly. Would it be okay if I took all the food out, put it in an airtight container, and stored it in a freezer? Or should I just use is as it is?
I try to use it up all my fish food in 4 months.

Thank you in advance!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Are banjo catfish picky eaters? Also a food question

Post by bekateen »

Hi Quokka,
They do like live worms, but they eat pellets and other dry foods too. Try worm flakes or 1mm NLS Thera A+ pellets. Also give them a sandy substrate, they like to burrow and hide.
Good luck,
Eric
P.S., yes, put your food in a ziplock bag or in an empty clean food jar, like a jelly jar.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

bekateen wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 16:06 Hi Quokka,
They do like live worms, but they eat pellets and other dry foods too. Try worm flakes or 1mm NLS Thera A+ pellets. Also give them a sandy substrate, they like to burrow and hide.
Good luck,
Eric
P.S., yes, put your food in a ziplock bag or in an empty clean food jar, like a jelly jar.
Thanks yet again Eric! So they are not very picky! All my tanks have sand substrate so if I get them I think they will be burrowing happily.
I also followed your advice and seal my new fish food in Lock & Lock boxes....a surprising amount of food came out of such a small container!
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

I keep several species of banjo, the common ones I see the least, and never see feeding but have had them all for several years, so they appear to find sufficient food at night when they come out. They are bettr kept with a sand substrate where possible.
HTH
Martin
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

Martin S wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 09:41 I keep several species of banjo, the common ones I see the least, and never see feeding but have had them all for several years, so they appear to find sufficient food at night when they come out. They are bettr kept with a sand substrate where possible.
HTH
Martin
Thanks Martin! I will keep this in mind, will also update if I end up getting one!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”