Preliminary Analysis of Age-Class Structure and Longevity for the Endangered Pygmy Madtom

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Preliminary Analysis of Age-Class Structure and Longevity for the Endangered Pygmy Madtom

Post by lfinley58 »

William G. Wells and Hayden T. Mattingly (2019) Preliminary Analysis of Age-Class Structure and Longevity for the Endangered Pygmy Madtom. Copeia: September 2019, Vol. 107, No. 3, pp. 447-450.
Abstract:
Developing an understanding of life history of a rare species is vital to formulating conservation strategies for its management and protection. Current knowledge about Noturus stanauli, the Pygmy Madtom, includes morphology, scant distribution data, and genetic analysis between populations in the Clinch and Duck rivers. In this study, we assembled a list of standard (SL) and total (TL) lengths for 45 individuals from our observations, museum records, and agency reports. Results using TL indicate two age classes (young-of-the-year and adult) throughout the year, a spawning period in late June–late August, and maximum longevity of approximately 1.5 years. In our collections, lengths ranged from 14–42 mm TL (n = 41), with a mean of 30.5 mm TL.

https://doi.org/10.1643/CI-19-186

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”