Pseudohemiodon sp chameleon ?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
seb24
My cats species list: 14 (i:10, k:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:5, p:124)
My Wishlist: 26
Spotted: 17
Location 1: La Tour-Blanche
Location 2: Dordogne

Pseudohemiodon sp chameleon ?

Post by seb24 »

Hi,

I have saved a trio of Pseudohemiodon from a petshop some months ago. I have already got one Pseudohemiodon sp chameleon from Peru. The 3 pseudo were sold under the name Pseudohemiodon aff apithanos Chameleon Peru. With the stress, i dont really look their pattern because they were all black.
But after some days, i see that they dont look like my other Pseudohemiodon.
I wonder if it's not Pseudohemiodon sp. Marbled ?

The old one that i have

The news

Can you help me ?
MarcW
I've donated: $150.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Re: Pseudohemiodon sp chameleon ?

Post by MarcW »

Hi Seb24,

Firstly welcome to PlanetCatfish!

The second fish looks like it could be to me, hopefully someone with a bit more experience dealing with these fish can confirm!

Good luck with your new fish!
seb24

Post by seb24 »

Hi MarcW,

Thank you for your answer !

I spoke with the importer, in fact there was an error in the labeling of this fish for export. A priori they would come from Caqueta in Colombia. So rather apithanos ...

At the moment I don't find that they look like it
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

I'd agree they don't look like apithanos I have, or have seen offered for sale.

Caqueta isn't far from the border with Peru, so it's possible the fish may have traveled from Peru to an exporter there, or that their range extends over the border further upstream or up a tributary into Columbia.

I'm not too familiar with the details of fish collecting or exporting, but I wouldn't rule out that a fish may have been caught a few hundred miles from where it's officially exported from. Hopefully, someone with more experience of Pseudohemiodon can weigh in, but I'd agree, that they don't look like apithanos, unless they are younger and skinny, but even then, the markings don't look quite right to me.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Looks like we will need to update the entry for P. apithanos. We also need to add P. unillano and sort it out in the cat-elog.

https://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script ... 9000200213

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Shane wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 12:04 Looks like we will need to update the entry for P. apithanos. We also need to add P. unillano and sort it out in the cat-elog.

https://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script ... 9000200213

-Shane
Looks like the catelog was updated a year or few ago - is there something I missed? Might be worth laying out what we have on the site now to assist:

The second pictured fish and as matches the info. on the linked site from Caqueta which also had a "red" version.
The first pictured fish, which is the original astounding coloured fish.
A different fish, but in the paper linked.
- the one I bred, not either of the pictured fish.

Jools
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

I am by no means (beyond the one I keep) very familiar with Pseudohemiodon, but think I'm getting more confused!

These do seem to be very variable, the, I assume, I have has always looked exactly like image 10 on the Cat-eLog page, the second picture in this thread has the nose stripe which none of the P. apithanos images in the Cat-eLog have, nor none of the small number I have seen in person, the same for the pattern, in the second picture the pattern seems to be more broken, irregular dots, rather than the longer squiggles I have seen on P. apithanos.

If it's down to the variability of the species that's cool, the second picture didn't seem to neatly fit into P. apithanos to me.

Thanks Shane and Jools for helping out with the ID!
seb24

Post by seb24 »

Thank you everyone !

I'm sorry, indeed the new Pseudohemiodon are not in great condition ... I got them very thin and deformed in the pet store ... I bought them very expensive just not to let them there ...

Just to compare, I have a friend who sinned and picked up Pseudohemiodon from Caqueta in Colombia 2 years ago. Here are the specimens brought back, they don't have the same design known to the apithanos of Venezuela (cf Glaser). They brought back 'normal' and orange patterns. Even a blind fish that is doing very well but is still dark.
This pattern looks more like mine (small dots instead of lines) obviously in better conditions.

MarcW

Post by MarcW »

seb24 wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 17:34 Thank you everyone !

I'm sorry, indeed the new Pseudohemiodon are not in great condition ... I got them very thin and deformed in the pet store ... I bought them very expensive just not to let them there ...
Thanks for the additional information, it seems I was confused by not having seen a recently imported P. apithanos before!

Good luck getting them settled.

I'm still a bit thrown by the stripe on the nose not seen that before on P. apithanos!

Return to “What is my catfish?”