Small Algae eater for 10g Krib tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
BHRay
Location 1: Athens, OH

Small Algae eater for 10g Krib tank

Post by BHRay »

I have a 10g planted tank with a pair of Kribs. There is not alot of current since I am using an air-driven sponge filter. I have some algae growth on some clay pot surfaces and the broadleaf plants. Is there a small pl*co or something else that I can use to keep the tank clean, but not disrupt the Kribs?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

You could always try some <i>Otocinclus</i>.

Heok Hee
BHRay

Post by BHRay »

Do you think that I could put a pair in the 10g? I know they stay small and I was wondering if they would do better if they were in a group. I've also heard people say that they had a hard time keeping them alive once they got them home. Any ideas?
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

<i>Otocinclus</i> tend to do better in a group. I think you can even put three or four in a 10-gallon tank. I've never had any problems keeping them alive (I think most people on this forum can vouch for that).
You might have to give them additional green food. They can be too efficient in cleaning up algae sometimes.

Heok Hee
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Otto's are size for size just about the best algae eater you can buy. I keep several species in small groups of 5 - 6. Once settled in they are quite tough little devils.

Ian
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

Mine suck onto the sides of other fish sometmes :evil:
BHRay

Post by BHRay »

I brought a half dozen otos home tonight. I am acclimating them to the ph change right now, then into a q-tank to see how they do. They are small, some less than an inch long. Anything wrong with me putting all 6 in there to get a jump on the algae? Then I'm planning on moving maybe 3 of them to my 29 where I have a diatom problem.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to monitor the situation closely to make sure they don't run out of algae and starve.

Heok Hee
BHRay

Post by BHRay »

Were you talking to my wife? :) She had the same concerns about the the q-tank, saying, "there's not enough algae in there for those fish!". Oh, what's the use? I don't know why I call it a q-tank, I don't keep them in there near long enough. I'm sending them in. 24 hours is long enough to wait. Thanks for the help.
Bathos
I've donated: $20.00!
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

Post by Bathos »

algae wafers. don't risk infecting everyone else, just add algae wafers and possibly some blanched lettuce (not iceburg!) or spinach. (never had ottos, but i know many algae-eating fish like the lettuce and spinach) you will have to give them something to munch on once they eat all the algae in the tank anyway, so you might as well get some algae wafers now.
-Liz
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

I hate Otocinclus because of the sucking problem. It removes the protective mucus layer on a fishes skin resulting in infections. Bristlenoses (Ancistrus species) are much better than these little vampires. A pair of Bristlenoses make tireless algae-eaters. They grow 4 to 5 inches long. They need supplemental vegetable foods when the algae's under control. They need hiding places and they breed as prolifically as kribs, if not more. The male tends the eggs until they hatch.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

For info on acclimatizing and keeping ottos, you may want to check out http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... inclus.htm

Dinyar
BHRay

Post by BHRay »

Thanks for the help. I started with 6 otos. About 2 weeks into it I lost 2, found one carcass. I am doing 10% changes at 5-7 days. The remaining 4 seem to be doing well. I plan to get more and try the conditioning mentioned in that great link.

Return to “Tank Talk”