Native british catfish?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Native british catfish?

Post by jscoggs27 »

My question is are there any native british catfish?
I know there are some wels cats that have been introduced, but apart from that is there anything else? I dont think wels is natural here or is it? Im going back some years I know but. I remeber as a child fishing in a local stream which had a fish which us kids called a millers thumb. Now I dont know what its other name was but it was pl**o 'like' in appearence, small about 1.5 inches long. Same colour as the substrate, and very well camouflaged appearing as a rock. It lived in the fastest shalowest part of streams and could usually be found under rocks. Now, I remember always thinking that it was a catfish but it probably wasnt.
I cant remeber its other common name, does anyone have a clue? to either question?

thanks

jason
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

There are no catfish native to the British Isles. Wels (<i>Silurus glanis</i>) was introduced to Britain from Europe in the 1860s, while the Miller's Thumb (<i>Cottus gobio</i>) or Bullhead (not to be confused with the North American catfish) is not a catfish at all. Cottids (sculpins) are a predominantly marine group of fishes related to scorpion fishes (scorpaenids).
Last edited by Silurus on 28 Jan 2003, 18:05, edited 2 times in total.
jscoggs27

thanks

Post by jscoggs27 »

Thanx silurus. That means we are probably one of the only nations not to have a native species of catfish. That may explain why they are so popular here.
Thankyou for clearing up the other question, Unfortunately the stream I spoke of has been almost completly destroyed to build a flood prevention system, and I havnt seen that species since, But I'm sure they are probably more common in other parts of the country.
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

As far as i know, there are no real catfish in Norway either. One fish is sold as catfish (for eating), but is acctually a Perciforme (I think). The norwegian name of this extremely ugly fish is Steinbitt (translated "Stone-bite"). I think they have an article on this fish over at ScotCat.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

There are numerous instances of Ictalurids being introduced to UK waters, either for Angling or unwanted pets.
The other 'Catfish' is a marine food-fish, better known as the Wolf-fish, Anarhichas lupus. Tastes delicious when fresh. There are several other species found in cold marine waters, often used in displays by Public Aquaria as they have such SERIOUS dentition.
Pete
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Oh, and Miller's Thumbs or Bullheads are still very numerous in many areas of the country. I've caught them by hand from Cumbria to Devon, and most places inbetween. The only link between them and the North American Bullheads is down to appetite!
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Recently a teenager caught a three-foot wels while fishing in a stream in England. After a photograph, he threw it back. When the authorities found out, they sent somebody wading for it using an electric device of some sort to stun it. I don't think they found it. Apparently people smuggle them across the Channel wrapped in wet sacking, releasing them for angling purposes.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

ROFL!!
I can see the picture; people wearing shades or a bivac, carrying a heavy, dripping sac over their shoulder, whiskers sticking out; :shock:
"nothing to declare!"
Is that a Wels in your coat or are you just glad to see me?
Gone fishin'; yeah right! :wink:
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
jscoggs27

so

Post by jscoggs27 »

i heard you need a licence for channel cats in britain. is this true? I thought one cold spell like we had this year would kill them all off. They are still available in shops that i visit.

jason

Return to “Other Catfishes”