Mitophylogeny of the Pangasiidae

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Mitophylogeny of the Pangasiidae

Post by Silurus »

TY Duong, LTK Pham, XTK Le, NTT Nguyen, SAM Nor & TH Le, 2023. Mitophylogeny of pangasiid catfishes and its taxonomic implications for Pangasiidae and the suborder Siluroidei. Zoological Studies 62:48.

Abstract

Pangasiidae (catfish order: Siluriformes) comprises 30 valid catfish species in four genera: Pangasius, Pangasianodon, Helicophagus, and Pseudolais. Their systematics is frequently revised due to the addition of newly described species. Although Pangasiidae is known to be a monophyletic family, the generic and phylogenetic relationships among the taxa are poorly resolved. This study characterized three newly obtained complete mitogenomes of Mekong River catfishes from Vietnam (Pangasius mekongensis, Pangasius krempfi, and Pangasianodon hypophthalmus), as well as the inter- and intrafamilial relationships of the Pangasiidae and catfish families in Siluroidei. The genomic features of their mitogenomes were similar to those of previously reported pangasiids, including all regulatory elements, extended terminal associated sequences (ETAS), and conserved sequence blocks (CSBs) (CSB-1, CSB-2, CSB-3, and CSBs, A to F) in the control region. A comprehensive phylogeny constructed from datasets of multiple 13 PCG sequences from 117 complete mitogenomes of 32 recognized siluriform families established Pangasiidae as monophyletic and a sister group of Austroglanididae. The [Pangasiidae + Austroglanididae] + (Ictaluridae + Cranoglanididae) + Ariidae] clade is a sister to the “Big Africa” major clade of Siluriformes. Furthermore, both phylogenies constructed from the single barcodes (83 partial cox1 and 80 partial cytB, respectively) clearly indicate genus relationships within Pangasiidae. Pangasianodon was monophyletic and a sister to the (Pangasius + Helicophagus + Pseudolais) group. Within the genus Pangasius, P. mekongensis was placed as a sister taxon to P. pangasius. Pangasius sanitwongsei was found to be related to and grouped with Pangasianodon, but in single-gene phylogenies, it was assigned to the Pangasius + Helicophagus + Pseudolais group. The datasets in this study are useful for studying pangasiid systematics, taxonomy and evolution.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”