Hyalobagrus flavus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
ToastPuppy
Location 1: Bemidji
Location 2: Minnesota

Hyalobagrus flavus

Post by ToastPuppy »

There is scant information it seems on these fish, with some people saying they're rather sturdy while others saying they're pretty delicate. Simultaneously, the acceptable ph for them also seems to vary from source to source. Some places suggest they'll do fine around 7.0 while others suggest they prefer much more acidic water. I'm new to keeping fish that are of a more sensitive nature so I would like to know what people's experience is with them. Thank you for your time!
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Hyalobagrus flavus

Post by naturalart »

Well, I can tell you that they do best in a fairly 'quiet, backwater' type setups (no big aggressive eaters, larger territorial fish, etc.) They are small and relatively slow to the food. Micropredators, preferring live or frozen, but will eat pellets. No big current. Because of their small size and delicate build, temps should be warm and stable. Can't really speak to ph. Mine did fine at neutral (7ph), but I imagine they would do better at a slightly lower ph. Fairly easy fish to care for. I personally am looking forward to when I can get another group.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I may be one of the few members here who have caught them in the wild. The water was tea-colored, acidic (pH was not more than 6.0, maybe around 5.5 if I remember my notes correctly). Fish were caught amongst dense banks of Eleocharis-type plants growing along the shoreline of a large, slow-flowing stream.
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

Hi Silurus, did you take/remember the temps?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

naturalart wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 15:04 Hi Silurus, did you take/remember the temps?
No, because water temp has never been an important parameter in my field work. But I’d estimate it to be about 23–25 degrees Celsius.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

The last group I had, several years ago, was placed in a tank that had small lengths of thin open ended bamboo. I was quite surprised when they took up hiding in them like little groups of Tatia. I had never observed this behavior when I kept them in the past because I never thought to provide any type of cave for them.

My only other observation (which tracks with HH's collection info) is that they will not thrive in hard water over the long term.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

No, because water temp has never been an important parameter in my field work. But I’d estimate it to be about 23–25 degrees Celsius.
Thanks Silurus.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”