Sold as a worm line pleco. It’s definitely not that. Some kind of Peckoltia, but I can’t narrow it down.

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
H_M
Location 1: USA
Location 2: NY

Sold as a worm line pleco. It’s definitely not that. Some kind of Peckoltia, but I can’t narrow it down.

Post by H_M »

IMG_5395.jpeg
Like the title says, it was sold as a wormline. That’s pretty much the only peckoltia I can rule out.

Is it even possible to tell visually? So many peckoltias have basically this same pattern.
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Re: Sold as a worm line pleco. It’s definitely not that. Some kind of Peckoltia, but I can’t narrow it down.

Post by stuby »

Hi H_M,

Your plec looks to be Ancistomus L147.

Take care,
Chuck
H_M

Re: Sold as a worm line pleco. It’s definitely not that. Some kind of Peckoltia, but I can’t narrow it down.

Post by H_M »

stuby wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 00:32 Hi H_M,

Your plec looks to be Ancistomus L147.

Take care,
Chuck
Not doubting you, just curious how you can tell it apart from all the other little dotty guys. That was one of the (many) I had it narrowed down to.

I’m going to call the store tomorrow and see if they have any idea. But they’re the ones who labeled it wrong so…
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

I've seen some fish like this go through my local store, which I thought might be L387. But if the fish isn't very mature, it's difficult for me to say.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

H_M wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 01:43 Not doubting you, just curious how you can tell it apart from all the other little dotty guys. That was one of the (many) I had it narrowed down to.

I’m going to call the store tomorrow and see if they have any idea. But they’re the ones who labeled it wrong so…
I have kept (and bred) L147 for about 18 years now. L387 is another one that is posable like Eric stated..... but to me the pattern on the L147 is tighter than I have seen in L387. Your fish seems to have a tight pattern like I see in L147. Pictured is one of my L147's to compare.... I don't have L387.

Take care,
Chuck
Attachments
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
H_M

Post by H_M »

Definitely looks like your L147.
JRogo
I've donated: $5.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:10)
Spotted: 11
Location 1: West Seneca
Location 2: New York

Post by JRogo »

I saw someone selling L159 and in the description they used "worm line" The L159 are Luzia no clue were they got the worm line from.
H_M

Post by H_M »

Finally got an answer from the fish store! The pleco guy has been out with covid, which explains a lot.

“One of our distributors shipped it as a wormline but it’s not. It’s the same genus just a variation. It’s peckoltia sp. the exact L number probably hasn’t been described yet. Possibly it’s also a para worm line hybrid.
Hybrids are looked down on in the pleco world but some people still do it.”
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I'm not sure the reply from the fish store adds a lot and it's hard to see on what basis this would be a hybrid.

I too would say only because it looks like it has a longer body than a . have a slightly longer body which is easier to see in larger fish.

Patterns are not much use with some of these plecos, for example, in my opinion, the 11th image of here is the most representative of an adult fish. And looks like yours except for the body shape. :-)

Jools
H_M

Post by H_M »

It definitely wasn’t a satisfying answer.

Return to “What is my catfish?”