New Glyptothorax

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New Glyptothorax

Post by Silurus »

Singh P, L Kosygin, S Rath & SD Gurumayum, 2023. Glyptothorax siangensis, a new species of catfish (Sisoridae) from the Brahmaputra River drainage, Arunachal Pradesh, India. Journal of Ichthyology DOI:10.1134/S0032945223060152.

Abstract

Glyptothorax siangensis, new species, is described from the Siang River in Arunachal Pradesh, India. The new species can be distinguished from its congeners from the Ganga-Brahmaputra drainage and its neighbouring drainages by the following combination of characters: a thoracic adhesive apparatus with skin ridges present over almost the entire apparatus, including the sword-shaped median depression, which is narrowly opened posteriorly; an elongated dorsal spine distinctly greater than body depth at its origin, posteriorly serrated with 11–17 serrae; nuchal plate saddle-like with W-shaped extensions; shallow body depth; long nasal barbel, almost reaching the anterior margin of eye; a complete longitudinal black band across the distal half of dorsal-fin; and tips of neural spines extension visible as a row of ridges between dorsal-fin base and origin of procurrent rays of caudal-fin. This is the nineteenth species of Glyptothorax known from the Ganga-Brahmaputra drainage

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”