Lectotype of Synodontis victoriae clarified

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Lectotype of Synodontis victoriae clarified

Post by Silurus »

Englmaier, GK & RA Collins, 2023. Invalid lectotypification for Synodontis victoriae Boulenger, 1906 (Siluriformes, Mochokidae) by Poll (1971), and the designation of a new lectotype. ZooKeys 1183: 65–72.

Abstract

The lectotype and paralectotype of Synodontis victoriae Boulenger, 1906, designated by Poll (1971), were examined. Inconsistencies between data presented for the designated lectotype and the illustrated individual raise the question of whether lectotypification by Poll is valid. This case is not formally regulated by the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, but based on Article 74.5, the lectotypification for S. victoriae should be considered invalid because it cannot unambiguously indicate a single name-bearing specimen. Thus, we designate a new lectotype for S. victoriae (BMNH 1906.5.30.191, Entebbe, standard length 188.2 mm) out of two syntypes and provide illustrations and new morphometric and meristic data for both specimens.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”