Can cory-toxic kill other fish?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Sterbai22
Location 1: Skåne
Location 2: Eslöv

Can cory-toxic kill other fish?

Post by Sterbai22 »

Two weeks ago I lost three corys and an angelfish all within 24hrs.
It started sunday night when I found a dead cory. Sad but well, they are all old, it can happen, I thought.
On monday lunch my husband found another one dead. I came home from work and found the third one also diseased. Now this was strange so I did some water tests, nothing odd except a small rise i pH (Unfortunately I only had test strips for pH since the drop test ran out. Nitrite, ammonium etc I had drip tests for). Tested three other tanks and the pH was normal, agaid in the affected tank and confirmed higher (usually 7,5 then almost 8).
While I did a water change, which was on monday afternoon, 8 days since the last one) one of my angelfish also turned in, just like that.

All the other fish were fine, except the diseased angel’s partner who got depressed and did not eat for almost two weeks and turned pale and he was also hiding a lot.
The other couple had no clue what was going on and layed eggs and looked happy.
The other day, the widower started to eat again and looked better and didn’t hide as much but still pale. But I thought he was out of danger. Well today I found him upside down. Nothing to be done. As I prepared to put him down he died on his own.

Now the question: can the corys have gotten stressed somehow and released toxic and killed my other fish? Seems so strange to loose three fish in that short time with good water and no visible sickness on any fish…
Sterbai22

Re: Can cory-toxic kill other fish?

Post by Sterbai22 »

Should say 8, not a sunglass smiley…
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi Sterbai22,

Everything we know about cory toxin is that it wouldn't behave that way. The toxin is a mixture of enzymes that create substances in the victim's body to cause pain, tissue damage and probably inflammation. Death occurs within minutes or maybe an hour. To work, the toxin has to be relatively concentrated. Since many people try to "purge" their corys before shipping by chasing them around in the tank, to pre-release the toxin (presumably leaving the toxin in the tank), and they do it without harming other tank inhabitants, this tells us the toxin is too dilute in the tank.

More than likely, something else is to blame for the deaths.

Sorry for your losses,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Sterbai22

Post by Sterbai22 »

Thanks for the answer. Yes it seems so strange but I had to ask since I came across the information on cory-toxic while googling for possible causes.

I have had theese corys for 1,5 yrs and I’m at least the third owner so I guess they were old but still wierd that all die at once. Maybe something else was off. Asked in another forum and they asked back if I had used any chemichals around the tank. Well we did clean the house that same weekend but only used a small amount of Jif in the water while mopping the floor. I also have birds and think they would have reacted if chemichals were an issue.

Is there anything else that corys can be especially sensitive for? Or angelfish for that matter?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Sterbai22,

Unfortunately, I am not sure that we will know what caused you to lose so many fish so quickly. If you ever encounter a similar situation here is what I suggest.

The minute you observe any odd behaviour or find a dead fish in what has been a healthy, stable tank:

1) Check that filters are operating normally and are clean and free of obstructions
2) Check tank temperature. Inspect heater for any signs of damage
3) Immediately perform a 50% water change with conditioned water similar in temperature to the aquarium
4) Observe fishes closely for the next 24 hours

The above four steps can be considered immediate "first aid." Testing the water is not helpful as the fish are telling you something is wrong no matter what the test say.

Only consider medications if your 24 hour observations lead you to identify a specific fungus, virus, or parasite. Many aquarists go straight to medications which often make things even worse as they can have unintended consequences on the fishes and/or aquarium. For example, the active ingredient in one "anti fungal" medication widely available is chlorine.

Sorry about your losses but hope the above will be useful to you in the future.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Sterbai22 wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 06:26Is there anything else that corys can be especially sensitive for? Or angelfish for that matter?
Shane wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 11:21 Sterbai22,

Unfortunately, I am not sure that we will know what caused you to lose so many fish so quickly.

-Shane
Hi Sterbai22,

I agree with Shane on this one. Sometimes we can point to a singular condition or event that leads to mortality, but in many cases it's never clear. Clean, well aerated water is often the best remedy.

Good luck going forward,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Sterbai22

Post by Sterbai22 »

Thanks Shane. I will keep this in mind but I hope it doesn’t happen again :)
Sterbai22

Post by Sterbai22 »

bekateen wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 02:11
Hi Sterbai22,

I agree with Shane on this one. Sometimes we can point to a singular condition or event that leads to mortality, but in many cases it's never clear. Clean, well aerated water is often the best remedy.

Good luck going forward,
Eric
Thanks. Yes I know sometimes it is just better to move forward. Hope this was a one time thing :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”