L 159 luzia egg problems

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Nightowl aquatics
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:8)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Usa
Location 2: Nc

L 159 luzia egg problems

Post by Nightowl aquatics »

Hello. I have a reverse trio of l 159. They have spawned about 5 times since April. I still haven't gotten any fry! The eggs have always got kicked out so I am able to see that they are all different sizes? They always go bad no mater what I do. About a month ago I moved one male and one female to a different tank. This time the eggs didnt get kicked so I got excited! But again the eggs all went bad as before. I breed a few types in same type of water with same food with no problems so I think something is up with my female?? Anybody dealt with this before?? Thanks!!
Attachments
20230706_232257.jpg
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: L 159 luzia egg problems

Post by Jools »

That looks like the eggs of two different species such is the difference in size. I'm not saying it is, just that it's really odd.

This photo is from the eggs when only one male and female are present, yes? If so, I'd agree it does point to the female being subpar. Maybe keep the female on her own for a few months and really work on conditioning before reintroducing one male?

Cheers,

Jools
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Agreed. Normal eggs should be very homogeneous in size. Jools' suggestion of conditioning the female might help.

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Post by sturiosoma »

Nightowl aquatics wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 08:32 Hello. I have a reverse trio of l 159. They have spawned about 5 times since April. I still haven't gotten any fry! The eggs have always got kicked out so I am able to see that they are all different sizes? They always go bad no mater what I do. About a month ago I moved one male and one female to a different tank. This time the eggs didnt get kicked so I got excited! But again the eggs all went bad as before. I breed a few types in same type of water with same food with no problems so I think something is up with my female?? Anybody dealt with this before?? Thanks!!
What foods are you feeding
Fallen_Leaves16
My cats species list: 30 (i:15, k:16)
Spotted: 34
Location 1: Charlotte, NC
Location 2: United States of America

Post by Fallen_Leaves16 »

Insufficient conditioning, odd water temperatures, premature spawning, and stress has all led to irregularities in pleco eggs IME. The eggs in your picture were not fully developed inside the female, for one reason or another; and I doubt any of them would be viable even if fertilised. They don't look as though there was a lack of nutrients, just ejected prematurely. How old is the female, what F#, how large is she in comparison to the males, and what does she look like?

Unrelated matter, but I saw your Band post the other day on the L267 spawn- congrats!
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably some sort of mutated goose, in today's day and age..."
Nightowl aquatics

Jools wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 09:33 That looks like the eggs of two different species such is the difference in size. I'm not saying it is, just that it's really odd.

This photo is from the eggs when only one male and female are present, yes? If so, I'd agree it does point to the female being subpar. Maybe keep the female on her own for a few months and really work on conditioning before reintroducing one male?

Cheers,

Jools
This picture is from when the female and 2 males were together. Yea very odd. The eggs always got kicked until this last time but were always different sizes. Thanks!!
Nightowl aquatics

Fallen_Leaves16 wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 22:18 Insufficient conditioning, odd water temperatures, premature spawning, and stress has all led to irregularities in pleco eggs IME. The eggs in your picture were not fully developed inside the female, for one reason or another; and I doubt any of them would be viable even if fertilised. They don't look as though there was a lack of nutrients, just ejected prematurely. How old is the female, what F#, how large is she in comparison to the males, and what does she look like?

Unrelated matter, but I saw your Band post the other day on the L267 spawn- congrats!
Not sure of age. I won them last February as a reverse breeding trio. She a bit smaller than the male. She looks normal as I would think a female luzia looks like. Thank you ! Got the 267 the same time as the 159.
Nightowl aquatics

sturiosoma wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 17:55
Nightowl aquatics wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 08:32 Hello. I have a reverse trio of l 159. They have spawned about 5 times since April. I still haven't gotten any fry! The eggs have always got kicked out so I am able to see that they are all different sizes? They always go bad no mater what I do. About a month ago I moved one male and one female to a different tank. This time the eggs didnt get kicked so I got excited! But again the eggs all went bad as before. I breed a few types in same type of water with same food with no problems so I think something is up with my female?? Anybody dealt with this before?? Thanks!!
What foods are you feeding
I'm feeding the same as all the other ancistrus I'm breeding. Zucchini, green beans , algae wafers , ebo spiralina , repashy ( mostly soilent green but sometimes I will put a little bottom scratcher , igapo explorer , super green, or grub pie mixed in)
Koen
My cats species list: 87 (i:38, k:23)
My aquaria list: 35 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:8)
Spotted: 26
Location 1: Bucharest
Location 2: Romania
Interests: Photography
Bee keeping
Tropical Fish keeping

Post by Koen »

My L159 always kicked out the eggs. I kicked them back in...
If the male was really stubborn and keep kicking them out, i 've put the cave vertical and it mostly worked out.
Now they are on eggs for 4 days without kicking out, so keeping fingers crossed...
L046 - L134 - L144 - L159 - L168 - L181 - L183 - L236SW/SY - L260 - L262 - L265 - L267 - L287 - L297- L306 - L397 - L399 - L471 - H.Altamira sp. - H. real inspector

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”