Convergent evolution of Loricariid suckermouth structures

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Convergent evolution of Loricariid suckermouth structures

Post by bekateen »

Congratulations @Acanthicus and all!

Krings, W., Konn-Vetterlein, D., Hausdorf, B. & Gorb, S.N., 2023. Holding in the stream: convergent evolution of suckermouth structures in Loricariidae (Siluriformes). Frontiers in Zoology, 20(1), p.37.
https://doi.org/10.1186/s12983-023-00516-w
https://link.springer.com/article/10.11 ... 23-00516-w
Abstract
Suckermouth armoured catfish (Loricariidae) are a highly speciose and diverse freshwater fish family, which bear upper and lower lips forming an oral disc. Its hierarchical organisation allows the attachment to various natural surfaces. The discs can possess papillae of different shapes, which are supplemented, in many taxa, by small horny projections, i.e. unculi. Although these attachment structures and their working mechanisms, which include adhesion and interlocking, are rather well investigated in some selected species, the loricariid oral disc is unfortunately understudied in the majority of species, especially with regard to comparative aspects of the diverse oral structures and their relationship to the ecology of different species. In the present paper, we investigated the papilla and unculi morphologies in 67 loricariid species, which inhabit different currents and substrates. We determined four papilla types and eight unculi types differing by forms and sizes. Ancestral state reconstructions strongly suggest convergent evolution of traits. There is no obvious correlation between habitat shifts and the evolution of specific character states. From handling the structures and from drying artefacts we could infer some information about their material properties. This, together with their shape, enabled us to carefully propose hypotheses about mechanisms of interactions of oral disc structures with natural substrates typical for respective fish species.
Attachments
Fig. 1 A–D Suckermouths of selected taxa. A Ancistrus sp. L464. B Baryancistrus xanthellus. C Panaque nigrolineatus. D Chaetostoma formosae. The<br />highlighted region was documented by SEM to study the papillae and unculi. E–H Types of papillae. E Flat type, Pseudohemiodon almendarizi.<br />F Short type, Ancistrus sp. L464. G Medium type, Acanthicus adonis. H Long type, Hypancistrus sp. L333. The sizes of the insets relate the sizes<br />of the papillae to another. Scale bars: A 6 mm; B 6.5 mm; C 10.5 mm; D 9 mm; E, F 100 μm; G, H 250 μm. CC BY 4.0
Fig. 1 A–D Suckermouths of selected taxa. A Ancistrus sp. L464. B Baryancistrus xanthellus. C Panaque nigrolineatus. D Chaetostoma formosae. The
highlighted region was documented by SEM to study the papillae and unculi. E–H Types of papillae. E Flat type, Pseudohemiodon almendarizi.
F Short type, Ancistrus sp. L464. G Medium type, Acanthicus adonis. H Long type, Hypancistrus sp. L333. The sizes of the insets relate the sizes
of the papillae to another. Scale bars: A 6 mm; B 6.5 mm; C 10.5 mm; D 9 mm; E, F 100 μm; G, H 250 μm. CC BY 4.0
Fig. 2 Types of unculi. A None is present, Pseudohemiodon almendarizi. B Suction cup, Acanthicus adonis. C Hooks, Ancistrus sp. L464. D Mushrooms,<br />Chaetostoma formosae. E Small mushrooms, Spatuloricaria puganensis. F Honey-combed, Ancistrus megalostomus. G Long filaments, Pseudacanthicus<br />pitanga. H Folds, Hypostomus bolivianus. Scale bars: A, H, E 100 μm; B 150 μm; C, D 15 μm; F 50 μm; G 1 mm. CC BY 4.0
Fig. 2 Types of unculi. A None is present, Pseudohemiodon almendarizi. B Suction cup, Acanthicus adonis. C Hooks, Ancistrus sp. L464. D Mushrooms,
Chaetostoma formosae. E Small mushrooms, Spatuloricaria puganensis. F Honey-combed, Ancistrus megalostomus. G Long filaments, Pseudacanthicus
pitanga. H Folds, Hypostomus bolivianus. Scale bars: A, H, E 100 μm; B 150 μm; C, D 15 μm; F 50 μm; G 1 mm. CC BY 4.0
Fig. 3 Summary of ecological data and results from morphological analyses, visualized on a cladogram. From left to right: current type, preferred<br />substrate, papilla type, unculi type, proposed type of interaction between substrate and organism – for each species studied. When the field<br />is empty, no data was available. CC BY 4.0
Fig. 3 Summary of ecological data and results from morphological analyses, visualized on a cladogram. From left to right: current type, preferred
substrate, papilla type, unculi type, proposed type of interaction between substrate and organism – for each species studied. When the field
is empty, no data was available. CC BY 4.0
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Convergent evolution of Loricariid suckermouth structures

Post by naturalart »