Panaqolus claustellifer (L306) spawn after long break

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Panaqolus claustellifer (L306) spawn after long break

Post by panaque »

Last week I found one of my male with wrigglers in his cave, for the first time in about 3 years. They used to spawn regularly between May and November each year, but then totally switched off. A year ago or so I decided to split the group of 4 males and 2 females over two tanks and added F1 male and female to each to that each group had 3 males and 2 females. I was hopeful for this 'season', but nothing happened. So, it's a very pleasant surprise to find this spawn at the time of year they would normally stop.

I can only speculate what triggered them this time - judging by the size of the wrigglers, they must have spawned about the time when storm Babet passed through here. Over the next few days storm Ciarán will be here, with potentially record-breaking low air pressure. Perhaps this will trigger the second group to spawn as well. Perhaps not.

I would be interested to hear people's ideas / experiences about what triggers groups of plecos to restart spawning after a long break.

I couldn't manage a picture of the wrigglers in the cave, so here's a picture of one of the males
tempImagewlDmjf.gif
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Panaqolus claustellifer (L306) spawn after long break

Post by bekateen »

Congratulations? My friend in town just got a group of claustellifer. But his are young and it'll be at least a year before they are mature.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Griparn
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sweden

Post by Griparn »

Congrats! Keep posting updates.
Are L-306 more rare than l-397?

Its a stunning species for sure.
panaque

Post by panaque »

Griparn wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 19:27 Are L-306 more rare than l-397?
They're certainly harder to find in the UK

Well, the storm came and went and left us with power cuts and fallen trees but no further spawns.
Today I pulled the fry from the males cave as they looked like they were about ready to 'fledge' and I need to move their tank next weekend - I didn't want to end up having to hunt for them all over the tank when I strip it down.
Here they are...
tempImage6O5FlF.gif
harassimpish
Location 1: USA
Location 2: DC

Post by harassimpish »

wow. that look so cool
My wallet is like an onion. When I open it, I cry.moto x3m
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

If you have an oxygen gas cylinder, you can boost the dissolved oxygen in the late afternoon for an early morning spawn.

Either with a slow bubbling airstone (more wasteful) or an underwater trapped chamber of oxygen (inverted bowl - repurposed media reactor - etc) that will reduce down as oxygen gets absorbed.

The oxygenation is a lazy way of not needing to drop water temperature, perform large water change or simulate a storm.

If you don't have oxygen, you can drop in a 3 kg of party ice into 80 L tank volume.
panaque

Post by panaque »

Belated update: Weekend before last I had to move these two groups. The tank of the group that hadn't spawned I could move (with my son's help) having drained it of all but a few centimetres of water and leaving decor, caves and fish in place. Once in its new position, I refilled it with HMA-filtered water that comes out at 22C. The next day, I noticed a female was trapped by a male and they were still there the next day when I had to go on a work trip for a couple of days. When I returned, the male was on eggs, yay!

It seems that this big cool water change may have finally triggered them to get on with it, despite the disruption and potential stress caused by the move. However, it is not as if I haven't tried big cool water changes to get them going before, with no results for the last 3 years. Given that both groups have now spawned within a couple of weeks from each other, I am convinced the fish need to believe it is spawning season before triggers like water changes have any effect. Perhaps the series of storms we had over the last month or so convinced them. Who knows?

I think this latest spawn must have happened 9 days ago and the male now has a cave full of well-developed wrigglers. You can see him here in his cave - the yellow dot you can see by anal fin is a glimpse of a yolk sack (you'll have to take my word for it!).
L306 cave
L306 cave
Meanwhile, the young from the previous spawn are growing well in a hang-on fry box on a diet of leaf litter and spirulina sticks. Here's some seen through the bottom of the fry box.
L306 fry
L306 fry
I plan to set up a grow-out tank for them this weekend to free up the fry box for the new batch.
Tony4143
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:30)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:27)
My Wishlist: 34
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Tampa, Florida
Location 2: USA
Interests: Church, Family, Plecos, Corys, and fast cars

Post by Tony4143 »

They look good , keep up the good work
-Tony
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

Good news and nice update!

Yes there is a progressive maturity in fish keeping skills. Initially keeping fish successfully, then getting spawning and then being able to spawn fish on que. Finally becoming more efficient and effective at doing so. (Higher success rates and with less effort).

That allows you to schedule hatching and growout to busy life schedules, holiday breaks, live food culture, convenience of batch hatching etc. So just keep watching what you do and striving to improve.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”