Breeding corydoras

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Manoah
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Netherlands
Interests: Biotope aquariums, corydoras sp, south american nature

Breeding corydoras

Post by Manoah »

Hello,some of my corydoras aeneus and gossei are full of eggs. I did a 40% cold waterchange 2 days ago. Since then they are very active and chasing each other. Also they are trying to do the t shape. This has been going on for 2 days but still no eggs. Would it just take a few more days or can i do someting to trigger again? foto of aeneus with eggs
Attachments
2E440180-4800-4E63-8AB8-B79B12F3A79C.jpeg
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Breeding corydoras

Post by bekateen »

Do you have any plants in the tank? That might help tigger them. In my experience, aeneus really likes broad leaf plants, although aeneus would also lay some eggs on glass and on other random surfaces.

If they are trying to do the T-position action, then they may already be laying eggs, but eating them quickly. Do you see any circular residues on the glass?

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Manoah
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Netherlands
Interests: Biotope aquariums, corydoras sp, south american nature

Post by Manoah »

bekateen wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 22:24 Do you have any plants in the tank? That might help tigger them. In my experience, aeneus really likes broad leaf plants, although aeneus would also lay some eggs on glass and on other random surfaces.

If they are trying to do the T-position action, then they may already be laying eggs, but eating them quickly. Do you see any circular residues on the glass?

Cheers,
Eric

It is a biotope with no aquatic plants except for eleocharis sp. There are broader leaves of the pothos and spidergrass hanging in the tank. I did see that but i could be water drops that dried up. I will clean the glass and see if those are realy waterdrops. But the lights are already off now so i should check it tomorow. I can see the males trying to chase the females and sort of do a t shape position but the female keeps running away sort off.
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

I use a dedicated cory spawning tank that is 4 foot long with a shallow water depth to reduce egg predation. Aim one end of tank towards a window to catch sunrise and introduce specific broodstock the afternoon before. The broodstock have been separated by sex and preconditioned with protein heavy food and specific fish further selected (reduced) the day before breeding.

Once they start spawning, they become oblivious to distractions, even lay eggs on my hands. Remove broodstock after spawning frenzy. I use a dedicated breeding tank as this becomes the hatching tank, much easier than trying to move eggs out.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”