bronze cory color variation??

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
canescoachmark
Location 1: Seattle, WA (US)

bronze cory color variation??

Post by canescoachmark »

I purchased half a dozen about a year ago. I haven't found a description of these. They were advertised as "flaming bronze" corys. I would like to breed them to keep them in going in my tanks (very cool red color), but I won't if they are a hybrid. Any thoughts?

Mark

http://eheim-uk.com/planetcatfish/galle ... m29/fish10
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Gaahh! These are just regular bronze corys (<i>C. aeneus</i>) injected with dye.
For a discussion on the forum on dyed catfishes, see:
http://forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=186
http://forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=274

I wouldn't have bought the fish if I were you, so as not to support this cruel practice. That said, you can certainly breed them, but all you'll end up with are regular bronze cories.
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

bronze cory

Post by oneoddfish »

Unfortunately, there's store owner's /manager's that will buy dyed fish just to make a dollar or two! But it is up to us to stop this and we can start buy telling every one NOT TO BUY THESE DYED FISH.for the people who say well they seem to be ok well hundred's of other's you don't see die because of this dying practice now you know please spread the word. there's alot of very colorful fish who get it naturally. p.s. I'm not coming down on you because you didn't know any better! but now that you do PLEASE help stop this practice.
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Hey mark do us a favour add your location to your profile.

Your C. aeneus are dye injected fish, a practice that many of us feel should be outlawed. They should breed but you will just end up with normal C. aeneus.

Ian
canescoachmark
Location 1: Seattle, WA (US)

Post by canescoachmark »

First off, thank you all for the information. I had no idea that these fish had been dyed. I've seen obvious dyed fish before (glass fish, etc...) and I didn't suspect for a second that these were. Hey, I'm no catfish expert by any means! In addition, I bought these from what is probably the most reputable fish store in the Seattle area. This came as quite a shock. However, I'm relatively new to the hobby...so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I would have never knowingly bought such a critter.

And to make matters even worse....I'm actually a fish biologist (salmon and trout) for a big consulting firm :shock: ! A good friend of mine, who is also a biologist (and an experienced fish keeper, I might add) saw these fish in my tank and didn't suspect a thing...man....how humbling is that?!!!!!!

Thanks agian...and don't tell our clients a thing......

Return to “What is my catfish?”