have you used this catfish food before?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

have you used this catfish food before?

Post by philtre »

hi all

saw "King British" food for catfish, blue cylindrical plastic box, with added "Immuno Health Booster"

has anyone tried this before? also saw that there were tubifex worms and bloodworms. anyone tried any of the above before?
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!
Never heard of it!
Immuno Health booster: does that food contain Spirulina as it is believe to do so, even if no real serious scientific study has been done, many people stated that he help reinforce immune system!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
zebra_pl*co
Location 1: Surrey, UK
Interests: catfish - especially L numbers

Post by zebra_pl*co »

yes we use it for my gf's cory's and brochis's they love it !! well they would prefer bloodworm and daphnia :P , but they will eat it, we feed them it to make sure they are having a balanced diet, and it seems to help them grow well.
philtre

Post by philtre »

Yann,

FYI
King British Catfish Pellet Food 65g
Sinking pellets for loaches, corys etc.
Protein 50%, Oil 16%, Fibre 1.5%, Ash 9.5%, Moisture 6%.
Made in the UK
King British Catfish Pellet Food with Algae
A complete food for all catfish
Feed at least 2 to 3 times daily, sufficient to last approx 2 minutes per feed. With"Immuno Health Booster"

zebra pleco,
helps them grow well .. .the balanced diet or this particular food? (heheheh ... just wanted to be sure. I'm sure it's the balanced diet?)
:mrgreen:
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Hi again, We are feeding our mainstream fish this KB flake at the moment, I personally don't think any of the flakes vary much and must admit this one does seem to be better than some of the others. I prefer to use Tetra Prima ground up for smaller fish, and we tend to mix with several frozen foods to give a balanced diet. On the over hand I would'nt use live foods unless you know how fresh and disease free it is. As for spirulina it is appearing in many foods now both tropical and coldwater. Research in Canada as shown it to work, but may be biased to a particular company.l
zebra_pl*co
Location 1: Surrey, UK
Interests: catfish - especially L numbers

Post by zebra_pl*co »

philtre wrote: zebra pl*co,
helps them grow well .. .the balanced diet or this particular food? (heheheh ... just wanted to be sure. I'm sure it's the balanced diet?)
:mrgreen:
Yes, it must be the balanced diet, because I can't see the fish growing just because of one brand of food. 'doh !!! :wink:
philtre

Post by philtre »

STINGRAY wrote:Hi again, We are feeding our mainstream fish this KB flake at the moment, I personally don't think any of the flakes vary much and must admit this one does seem to be better than some of the others. I prefer to use Tetra Prima ground up for smaller fish, and we tend to mix with several frozen foods to give a balanced diet. On the over hand I would'nt use live foods unless you know how fresh and disease free it is. As for spirulina it is appearing in many foods now both tropical and coldwater. Research in Canada as shown it to work, but may be biased to a particular company.l
hi again too!
:wink:
thanks for sharing your experience! It's really good of you to share and I'll probably try it out!

btw STINGRAY,
does it cloud the water much?

cheers
philtre
Pectorale
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: punkrock and metal,read fantasy (Robin Hobb ought to win the first Nobelprize for fantasy) and aquaria of course

Post by Pectorale »

Never heard of the foodbrand you've mentioned, but if you want to boost the immune system you might want to try to use a 'cooler' night temperature. I have a timer on my tankheater that switches off after the lights go out,the watertemperature drops a little
and I feel that helps my fish develop a better slimecoating, which protects them against infections and the like. I've never noticed any ill effects, at least it saves energy. :wink:
'Man will never be free until the last king is
strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Denis Diderot 1713 - 1784
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Hi Philtre,

I am using this King British for catfish! My plecos and cories love it very much! Doesnt cloud the water. Only disadvantage is that it's almost the same colour as my gravel, thus cannot really see where the pellets are once they touched the bottom!
philtre

Post by philtre »

Hi Pectorale

thanks for the quick tip. Here in Singapore .... it is indeed hard to get the temperature down to the lower 20Cs. Of course artificial cooling of the tank might help ....

polkadot!!!!
cool! you just started using them? I've only recently seen this on the market! heheh ... you're a fast one! btw ... I'm thinking the food's brown colour? S$9.90 for the big one? It's really good to know that it doesn't cloud the water!
polkadot

Post by polkadot »

Hi Philtre,

You're right, the pellets are brown in colour. I'm using those Lonestar gravel so they blend well with them! :) This food is relatively new in the market here. I got the small one for $3.90 (Yah the $9.90 deal is the cheapest I've seen for the big can) to try out. Not bad since it's got algae and added vitamin C so I dont need to feed my plecos oranges and apple! :P :D :D
caril
Location 1: Singapore
Interests: Soccer and Fish Keeping

Post by caril »

someone mentioned daphnia...
what is it actually???
Yew Wee
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

AKA water fleas. They are small free-swimming crustaceans scientifically known as Cladocera. They are pinkish, swim with jerky movements and somewhat flea-shaped (hence their name).
coryfav
Location 1: Singapore (West)
Interests: Fishkeeping, Travelling, Reading, Correspondence

Post by coryfav »

Excuse me... Philtre, from which LFS can I check out on this KB pallets? Thanks! :)
To go to heaven: Turn right, and keep straight. - unknown

My gallery in PlanetCatfish: http://www.corydorasworld.com/planetcat ... ry/coryfav
caril
Interests: Soccer and Fish Keeping

Post by caril »

i have seen the KB pellets at clementi ave 2 blk 328.
going there later...
Yew Wee
philtre

Post by philtre »

that's where I saw it.c328. both actually. saw it @ cpolyart first then c328.

heheh ... yo fav. if you're trying that out too .... let us know how's the response like!

cheers
philtre
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

All~

This topic isn't really much to do with South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae), so I have moved it to tank talk for lack of a better place.

Jools
coryfav
Location 1: Singapore (West)
Interests: Fishkeeping, Travelling, Reading, Correspondence

Post by coryfav »

Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have a collection of all the cory tablets/pallets available locally! :lol:
To go to heaven: Turn right, and keep straight. - unknown

My gallery in PlanetCatfish: http://www.corydorasworld.com/planetcat ... ry/coryfav
philtre

Post by philtre »

that's good!

then your cories will have a varied healthy diet!

:P
polkadot

Post by polkadot »

Hi Phitre, have you got the king british yet? Let us know how you find it!
Charly EON
My images: 53
My catfish: 23
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 59
Location 1: Bordeaux - FRANCE

Post by Charly EON »

Hello

About "immune systems boosters" which I think is a really interesting topic.

There's a few scientific publications about spirulina "boosting" immune system in ithe aquacultured channel catfish.

You can also incorporate Ergosan from AVL (Aquacultuire Vaccinnes Limited) a UK based companyto in home made food to help. maybe this is what thio catfish food contains ?

In France, a product called Biogen is offiially labelled as a immune system stimulant for fish.

The use of such products is helpfull specially for importers
Charly
philtre

Post by philtre »

polkadot ...

yet to get my hands on it. it's the hols these few days ... heheheh ... so kinda hard. might take a while to land myself one.

Charly,
thanks very much for your post ... although ... heheheh ... I'm hearing almost all the info you mention for the first time.
#1 the Ergosan from AVL (Aquacultuire Vaccinnes Limited)
#2 Biogen
new to me :D

Return to “Tank Talk”