Help with Stocking

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Help with Stocking

Post by Taratron »

Heya all. I've received numerous advice from numerous boards and sources about my 20 gallon tank. It's filtered by an AC 200, has a live java fern, and been running since June 2002.

Tank inhabitants: 3 female bettas, 1 golden wonder killifish, 1 bulldog pleco, 1 dwarf malabar puffer, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 emerald cory cat (Brothis spenldens) and 2 bronze cories (Corydoras aeneus).

The emerald cory cat was a rescue from a lfs recently; he had been alone in their tank for over one month, and hence did not look to be very happy. The initial plan was to add him and two other emeralds for his buddies. However, after looking over several images, I thought the bronze cories looked like him, so maybe he would school with them?

No dice.

So now I have two cories that want a third member, and one still very lonely emerald cat.

Options I see....to take back the emerald to another lfs, which would prolly further stress him out....take back the bronze cories and get the emerald cat two more friends....or add 1 more bronze and 2 more emeralds, to make a total of 7 cats (the pleco included) on the bottom of a 20 gallon tank.

Someone told me if I keep up on the water changes, everything should be fine. Others insist only 3 cories per 20 gallons. Someone told me emerald cats get over 6 inches long!!! :shock:

So I figured the catfish world was the best place to ask. What can I do to make my tank a happy one? If it helps, more live plants (java moss) are on the way, and I do 25% weekly water changes.

Please help, my tank is riding on you.

Return to “Tank Talk”