I think my pictus is pregnant?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
manman01
Location 1: mi
Interests: fish

I think my pictus is pregnant?

Post by manman01 »

help! i think my pitcus is pregnant. the stomach is really big and if it is ready to lay eggs i want them to survive. i have a 10 gallon community tank. 1 opaline gorami, 1 blue gorami, a pinnaple sword, pleco, dalmatian molly, my pictus, and a dwarf gorami. i just got it tonight and when i got it home i noticed it has like sort of a pot belly. i don't know if its fat or what. i know it is rare for them to breed in captivity but im not sure. any info will help thanks! :D

--------billy
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Are you sure the fish is not just well-fed or suffering from a bacterial infection ? I would wait and see just to rule out the other two possibilities (of course, it should be separated from the other fish if it was suffering from an infection).
Even if it was gravid with eggs, the eggs will never hatch unless you have a male pictus to fertilize the eggs.
manman01
Location 1: mi
Interests: fish

pictus

Post by manman01 »

well i dont think its an infection because it is swimming freely no clamped fins or other signs it is probably just well fed like you said . thanks.
sharpshootercatfish
Location 1: U.S. MICHIGAN
Interests: loves rapheals

Post by sharpshootercatfish »

yes most likely, I had one and it had the same problem,well fed, be carefull they can actualy explode from that and won't hesitate to eat whatever food they find even if thay dont need any food.
I am sharpshooter, and you'll never know I'm there until it's too late....

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”