Wood cat ID

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Wood cat ID

Post by Dinyar »

What's this?

Trachelyopterus sp. or Parauchenipterus sp. (galeatus?)?

Thanks,
Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It's <i>Trachelyopterus</i> (I think <i>Parauchenipterus</i> has a bigger head). Still owe you a specific id for this.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Thanks, Heok Hee.

It doesn't come across clearly in the photo, but the fish has an incredible speckled gold and brown coloration, as if had been sprinkled with gold dust.

The other unusual thing I notice about this fish is that it is quite active. Throw a pinch of FD bloodworm into the tank and it goes charging all over the place. A pleasant change from alll the other Auchenepterids I've kept, which mostly wedged themselves into a tight corner and never budged.

Dinyar
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

My experience with auchenipterids is that they're not as reclusive as often stated. I've kept <i>Tatia</i> and <i>Liosomadoras</i> which all come charging out at feeding time. <i>Auchenipterichthys</i> is a little more shy, but with the right inducements, can be made to come out of hiding.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Just checked up on the current literature, and it looks like <i>Parauchenipterus</i> is now considered a junior synonym of <i>Trachelyopterus</i>. <i>Trachelyopterus</i> was originally distinguished by the lack of an adipose fin, but this is apparently a character that only works at the species level.
Still no closer to a specific id, though I can rule out <i>T. galeatus</i> (has a larger headl) and <i>T. coriaceus</i> (lacks an adipose fin).

Return to “What is my catfish?”