Glyptothorax vs Glyptosternum

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Glyptothorax vs Glyptosternum

Post by sidguppy »

My cousin has about 6 wee tiny little critters that fit either bill; but two seem to be able to "glue themselves to the glass", while 4 like nothing better than lying on or in the sand....

So we got wondering: if this is the difference; if there still IS a genus called Glyptosternum, and perhaps if the pre/ab-sence of a ventral "sucking organ" (located between the pectoral fins) would be the difference between the two genera.

Please can the "Asian catfish Pro's" enlight us?
Valar Morghulis
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Glyposternum is an unjustified change in spelling of Glyptosternon, which not only lacks the thoracic adhesive apparatus, but also has enlarged paired fins and lacks fin spines.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

So Glyptothorax has an thoracic adhesive apparatus!

Well, let's get a magnifier then....
the critters are about 2 cm to 1" and built like Amphilius and the like; very stretched.

They all have these telltale membranes on their maxillary barbels, like a miniature Bagarius!
Valar Morghulis

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”