Head and pectoral osteology and myology of Schilbe

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Head and pectoral osteology and myology of Schilbe

Post by Silurus »

Diogo, R, M. Chardon, P Vandewalle, 2004. Osteology and myology of the cephalic region and pectoral girdle of Schilbe mystus and comparison with other schilbids, with comments on the monophyly and phylogenetic relationships of the Schilbidae (Teleostei: Siluriformes). Animal Biology, 54: 91-110.

Abstract: The cephalic and pectoral girdle structures of Schilbe mystus are described and compared with those of other schilbids, as well as several other non-schilbid catfishes, as the foundation for a discussion on the monophyly and the phylogenetic relationships of the Schilbidae. Our observations and comparisons suggest that the family Schilbidae is a monophyletic group, defined, at least, by three autapomorphies, namely: 1) the adductor mandibulae A2 is lateral to the A1-Ost; 2) the posterior margin of the horizontal portion of Meckel's cartilage is situated further beyond the coronoid process; 3) the adductor mandibulae A is visible in a lateral view of the cephalic region. With respect to the phylogenetic relationships of the Schilbidae, our observations and comparisons support a close relationship between this family and the Pangasiidae.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”