tank wipout

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.

have you ever replaced evaporation with untreated water?

yes
58%
no
33%
by accident
8%

Total votes: 24

manman01
Location 1: mi
Interests: fish

tank wipout

Post by manman01 »

i have a community tank and made the stupid mistake of replacing evaporation with untreated water because where i got the fish,before the cats said it was okay. my cats were not rare or anything.($3.00 a piece) but i guess the were sensitive of the change. never do this!!!! :cry: :x :shock: :oops: don't yell at me please. it was an honest mistake and i learned from my mistake. i hope many more like me will learn the easy way.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

hi!

I dont really get how this killed your fish?
I always refill my tank with water straight from the tap w/o any stuff added...all my fish are healthy as i look at them...
cheers
Christian
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Well, depends on what kind of catfish you have and what they treat the water with.
I've used Michigan water straight out from the tap without any adverse effects on my fish. That said, sometimes I think there might be a little too much chloramine in the water, and that may have been what killed your fish.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

oh i see as i dont have chlorine in my water...i wonder if any german water comp adds it...
cheers
Christian
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

Post by SirHelm »

I too use water straight outta the tap here in San Jose. I do use the chlorine remover chenicals, just to be on the safe side.

SH
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

The water in the UK is terrible at its best, most of the time it is undrinkable. I always advise people to use conditioners in tap water but I know that most of our customers use ro water purified or still mineral water as more often than not our water is too high in nitrates, phosphates and phenols. Has anybody ever lost a lge qty of fish, even after using treated water in a short space of time ?
manman01
Location 1: mi
Interests: fish

Post by manman01 »

silurus i live in michigan too i have found that you have been a lot of help to me in the first week of me visiting the site. thanks for helping! :D :) :lol: :wink: :thumbsup: :al: :mrgreen:

Return to “Tank Talk”