s.american tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sharpshootercatfish
Location 1: U.S. MICHIGAN
Interests: loves rapheals

s.american tank

Post by sharpshootercatfish »

I need a basic key to follow on how a s.american tank should look for the natural habitat of 4 spotted rapheal, I will be seting this up in about 3 months but I need to know everything from what gravle I should use or sand, the power head I should use, the filtration system( as I plan to feed some live food witch produce alot of waste) I need to use, the position the currant from the power head should flow, hiding places, to etc.

I need everything!

I'm sure dorad could tell me all of this but the opinions of others would also help.
I am sharpshooter, and you'll never know I'm there until it's too late....
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

Im sure they would like a densly planted tank with lots of caves and driftwood. but if you ever wanted to see them during the day you would need to use dim lights in wich case plants would be out of the question. I keep mine in a fifty five will all other sorts of catfish there is no plants but to rock caves and lots of driftwood. The lights are dim so i see him quite a bit. Its a toss up between having a really nice looking planted tank or seeing the fish and having a not so great looking average tank. Good luck. Im sure some other more experienced aquarists will be able to add or edit what iv suggested.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Dorad
My articles: 12
My images: 69
Spotted: 50
Location 1: Southampton, Hampshire, England
Interests: Catfish of all sizes. My main interests are with South American species although I do have a number of African species including Synodontis

Typical set-up for Raphaels

Post by Dorad »

Basics required are as follows:

Minimum aquarium size 24" for 3-4 specimens depending upon available space taken up by other species.
These catfish really do prefer to shoal so ideally you should purchase at least four fish but preferably six.
If you do not wish to purchase six of the same species (although this is my preferred choice) then endeavour to purchase three each of two species.
Always study the catfish prior to purchase to ensure that they are both fit and well, if in doubt leave alone and return a few days later to see if the fish are still for sale.
Provide plenty of hiding places, but try to position any potential hiding places so that you can still observe the fish..thus a bit of careful planning is required.
A good quality substrate. I prefer to use aquarium sand as I think that it is more akin to the substrate found in their natural habitats. The brand I use is BD Aquarium Sand which is excellent. If you prefer to use gravel then please ensure that it is smooth and rounded so that the catfish do not damage themselves.
Provide good quality filtration in the form of internal (or external if on a large system) power filtration with possibly a back-up air driven filter such as a box filter of sponge filter, but do note that the latter are best used as back-up.
Try to add aquatic plants preferably attached to bogwood or rocks so that the fish do not disturb the roots.
Dim lighting is preferable if you wish to see these fish during the day.
Mixed and varied diet including catfish pellets, granular foods, frozen bloodworm, chopped mussel and earthworms to name but a few.
Ensure that regular partial water changes are undertaken on a weekly/fortnightly basis. I would suggest a regime of 25% at a time.
Regularly test the water especially if it is a new set-up.
If it is a newly aquired aquarium, PLEASE remember to add new fish gradually and do not overstock.
New purchases should always be quarantined for a minimum of two weeks before adding to the main aquarium. I've made these mistakes when I first started fishkeeping (too many years ago to remember now!), so please do not risk losing your stock for the sake of not having a quarantine tank!
Enjoy your fish and follow the basics and you should not have any problems.

Lecture over :D

Dorad
sharpshootercatfish
Location 1: U.S. MICHIGAN
Interests: loves rapheals

Post by sharpshootercatfish »

thanks much!
i think i'll get three of each.

um.... the striped get biger than the spotted right?
I am sharpshooter, and you'll never know I'm there until it's too late....
Dorad
My articles: 12
My images: 69
Spotted: 50
Location 1: Southampton, Hampshire, England
Interests: Catfish of all sizes. My main interests are with South American species although I do have a number of African species including Synodontis

South American tank

Post by Dorad »

Yes the striped raphael (Platydoras costatus) does grow bigger than the spotted raphael (Agamyxis pectinifrons). The striped grows to 170mm s.l. whilst the spotted grows to 140mm s.l.

s.l. = standard length i.e. from the tip of the snout to the base of the caudal peduncle

Good luck

Dorad 8)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”