pleco ID

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
BIGblue
Location 1: Sunrise, FL, USA

pleco ID

Post by BIGblue »

This isn't my fish. Just wanted an ID for him.
Image Angel
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

L128, from Venezuela
Easy
Location 1: Philippines
Interests: Catching some Zzzzs while at work.

Post by Easy »

isn't that an L128 (Blue Phantom)?

they could change from dark blue...to that translucent blue green color...depends on the mood of the pleco...and sometimes the lighting of the tank.
Last edited by Easy on 09 Feb 2003, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Coelacanth,
I am sure you meant L 128 from Colombia and Venezuela :wink: ! These come from the upper Orinoco that forms the Colombian/Venezuelan border. I would guess that 99% of exports originate in Colombia since it is illegal to export fishes from Venezuela.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Shane wrote:Coelacanth,
I am sure you meant L 128 from Colombia and Venezuela
Erm...yes. It IS late over here, I've had some wine, and I temporarily forgot that it is illegal to export fish from Ven. Bit like I don't actually have Uaru fernandezyepezi downstairs, and they definitely DIDN'T come from Venezuela......... 8)
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

I wonder what price they sell for?
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Graeme wrote:I wonder what price they sell for?
BAS here in Bolton has big healthy fish for £70 retail. It appears that some new importations may have smaller fish that are considerably cheaper though.
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Hey thanks for that. I just got some new species botia loaches from B.A.S. I think i'll give them a phone call.

Thanks.
Graeme.
BIGblue
Location 1: Sunrise, FL, USA

Post by BIGblue »

Thanks for the ID everyone.
Easy wrote:they could change from dark blue...to that translucent blue green color...depends on the mood of the pl*co...and sometimes the lighting of the tank.
I like the pic of your blue phantom better EASY. It was really dark and defined. Very nice fish.

Angel
Image Angel
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Graeme,
They sell locally for about US $5.00 to $6.00 each although you might pay up to $7.00 for a large one (over six inches). I picked up two last weekend (around five inches each) because they had a strange color pattern with very large white dots extending onto the caudal fin. I paid around US $12.00 for the pair.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Shane wrote:I picked up two last weekend (around five inches each) because they had a strange color pattern with very large white dots extending onto the caudal fin. I paid around US $12.00 for the pair.
Now you're just rubbing our noses in it! :wink:
Cartman
Location 1: MN, USA

Post by Cartman »

Shane wrote:Graeme,
They sell locally for about US $5.00 to $6.00 each although you might pay up to $7.00 for a large one (over six inches). I picked up two last weekend (around five inches each) because they had a strange color pattern with very large white dots extending onto the caudal fin. I paid around US $12.00 for the pair.
-Shane
So the obvious questions come to mind, can you export? Occasionally I'll see them for $25 @ wholesalers, but up here in MN the LFS constantly want $50+ for L128 & L200 :(

Now that i think about it, it's probably good that plecos cost as much as they do up here, otherwise I'd be likely to empty out the Amazon :lol:
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

In NYC, L128 and L200 sell for $20-30 retail. They have become quite common recently.

Dinyar
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Here's mine to share!

Return to “What is my catfish?”