mystus wykii. possible tankmates?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
bigrob
Location 1: Blackpool, England.
Interests: Fishing, Chiclids and catfish

mystus wykii. possible tankmates?

Post by bigrob »

I have a 12" Mystus Wykii in a 6'x2'x2' tank. I was wondering if it would be possible to introduce any oyher fish into this tank, as i have read that they can be agressive. I was thinking of possibly a Clarias sp. or maybe Pacu's. I would be very gratefull for any information on this. I would also be interested in hearing from anyone else who has kept this fish. Thanks Rob.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Nope, definitely not.
<i>Hemibagrus wyckii</i> is probably the most aggressive catfish known to man. When I had one, I didn't even dare put my hand in the tank.
bigrob
Location 1: Blackpool, England.
Interests: Fishing, Chiclids and catfish

Post by bigrob »

Thanks silurus, I think I'll leave it on its own then!! :shock:

bigrob
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

A 6' by 2' by 2' is nowhere near big enough to add anything with a 'Satan'.
In any case, Pacu require aquaria in excess of 1000 gallons, preferably more. The fish that were here had a 16' by 4' by 4' aquarium to play in, and they looked cramped in that.
I think the Clarias would wonder what had hit them!
A healthy Wyckii requires no tankmates anyway, they are stunning enough on their own, and unlike most of the big Pims will stay at a size where they are manageable in the home aquarium.
I'd love a big Wyckii on display here, but it doesn't really carry enough of an education message on it's own for public display.
Pete
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

I bigrob. I own 1 also and must admit it is a terror (pics are on the cat e log) A beauty which is best left in solitude, ours killed a snakehead of equal size and the only other fish we have kept with him until recently was an L273 Titanic which never dared get within a ft of the Mystus. As Jools recently imformed me the name has now changed to Hemibagrus Wyckii. A personal fav along with M Tigrinus. Good Luck
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

How about Megalodoras uranoscopus? (formerly M. irwini). It's a big doradid that's built like a battletank. I don't think a Wykii would mess with them.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Then you'd probably need an indoor pond, given that you are putting two catfishes that have the potential to grow really big and will need lots of room for comfort.
nolan
Location 1: west sussex uk

Post by nolan »

i definatley wouldnt put anything in with your wykii. in my experience they will shred anything kept with them and i have a collegue who has one and it has already bitten him badly and it killed the giant gourmai it had in the tank which was considerably larger than the cat at the time.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

A Megalodoras is very, very peaceful. And although heavily armoured, it still dies when all the fins are ripped off, the eyes are bitten out and the whiskers are gone too.
The same way why Hoplo's and Dorads fare so badly in tanks with Central American "Cichlasoma's", or African "Pseudotropheus" etc. Their armour makes them less appetizing for predators that swallow their prey whole; like birds and big piscivore fishes; but it doesn't defend them from aggressive animals that are capable of biting away fins etc; like Hemibagrus wyckii, big assertive cichlids, aquatic turtles etc.

It's a mistake I've seen often; people putting armoured cats in with the most nasty creatures, because they're supposed to withstand attacks. But fish-armour doesn't work like mideaval human armour....
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A

Return to “Asian Catfishes”