Hoplosternum in Florida

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Hoplosternum in Florida

Post by Silurus »

Nico, LG & AM Muench, 2004. Nests and nest habitats of the invasive catfish Hoplosternum littorale in lake Tohopekaliga, Florida: A novel association with non-native Hydrilla verticillata. Southeastern Naturalist 3: 451-466.

Abstract

Hoplosternum littorale is a South American catfish (Family Callichthyidae) first discovered in the United States in 1995 in Florida. The presence of H. littorale was documented from early 2002 to late 2003 in Lake Tohopekaliga (Kissimmee River Basin) in central Florida. In this paper, 22 H. littorale nests and nest sites are described. The characteristic bubble nests were present from late May to early September, with number of nests peaking in August when water stage and temperature were both high. Nest habitats (shallow, open marshes) and timing of nest construction (rainy season) were similar to what has been reported for H. littorale in its native range. Most nests (n = 14) were in areas dominated by Hydrilla verticillata and constructed largely from parts of this Asian aquatic plant, representing a unique association between two non-native species. Nevertheless, during August, as water levels increased, nesting shifted from H. verticillata-dominated communities to use of inshore grass zones dominated by Luziola fluitans. Knowledge of H. littorale nesting seasonality and habitat preferences may be useful for any efforts to control or manage this invasive fish.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

littorale's in the US?

someone should go catching them and selling them as pet-fish!
make a few bucks, and as soon as the moneymen come in, the problem's solved.

A few boxes of US-bred littorales shipped off to Europe might be very nice too.

There's no laws preventing a non-native pest-fish from being overfished, is there?
Valar Morghulis
snookman
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)

Post by snookman »

interesting topic...FYI there are 2 lakes in central florida with that name, each designated by either east or west lake. they are connected by a canal often used by bass fsherman as a means to get from lake to lake. i was just curious as to wether or not it was specified in which of the 2 lakes it was first seen. i used to live about 15 minutes from west lake "toho". my parents still do.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”