Brachyplatystoma Juruense

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BIGblue
Location 1: Sunrise, FL, USA

Brachyplatystoma Juruense

Post by BIGblue »

Hello,

I was curious as to why some of these fish have a brown coloration, and some have blue coloration. The juveniles seem to all be dark in color. Does it have to do with what mood they are in like the L 128, or what water condition they are in?

I saw three of these cats at a local pet store. They were sick though. Some were laying on there side and some were rocking back and forth on there stomachs. Hopefully they get better. I was really interested in buying one of them.

BTW: I saw an albino Brachyplatystoma Juruense in the Cat-eLog. I've never seen an albino pim. Are they rare?

Angel
Image Angel
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Usually, there would be slight variations in color depending on the water conditions and sometimes the diet.
But I think the normal variation isn't so great (blue vs. brown). What you sometimes see (as in the case with the pics in the Cat-eLog) is a result of different lighting conditions and camera settings when the pics were taken.
BIGblue

Post by BIGblue »

Thank you Silurus.

Angel
Image Angel
katfishguy
Location 1: Miami, FL

Post by katfishguy »

Albino Juruense is extremely rare !!!
PeacockBass
Location 1: the Net
Interests: Fish,Girls,Competition,Games

Post by PeacockBass »

All albino Pims are Rare!!!!! specialy Juruence!!!!!

mine has a Very Black and whight coloration.. realy gives the affect of a tigrinus... hence "Fals Tigrinius" name
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

Certain types of juruense have a "better" pattern...they are known as "Flash Juruense" or "Flash Zebra Juruense". I think the pattern depends on what river system they come from. You said some were rocking back and forth on there stomachs...was it their stomach or fins? They like to "balance" on thier two bottom fins.
BIGblue

Post by BIGblue »

The fish were very young. They were only about 1.5" long.

The fishes didn't seem to have any balance. I don't know what was wrong with them.
Image Angel
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Hi all , if the fish are very small they might sway in the water current if the pumps are very strong, and may not actually be sick. We had a juve Tigrinus which also looked very sick when he came in but was fine after a few weeks of tlc. I have never seen any albino pims in the flesh and would imagine them to be quite expensive.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”