Condition and reproduction in neotropical ariids

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Condition and reproduction in neotropical ariids

Post by Silurus »

Gomes, FG & ID Araújo, 2004. Influences of the reproductive cycle on condition of marine catfishes (Siluriformes, Ariidae) in a coastal area at southeastern Brazil. Environmental Biology of Fishes 71: 341-351.

Abstract

Marine catfishes use estuaries and bays as part of their life cycle for spawning and feeding purposes, respectively. We compared three species of the family Ariidae in two different environmental conditions at a relatively stable bay site and an estuarine site, which differ in their magnitudes of environmental fluctuation to investigate effects of spawning on condition. We found differences in the parameter b (slope) and in they-intercept (a) among species and sexes. The parameter a varied inversely with b, and thus is not a good indicator to express fish condition. Condition factor did not differ between the two sites for species and sexes when we consider the pooled data. Overall condition was associated with reproductive process, and was high before the reproductive season, decreasing during the spawning period in the estuary, then increasing when fish move to the bay (Aprilâ??August). Temporal segregation in the reproductive period and small-scale movements between the estuary and the bay are the probable mechanisms to optimize the use of the area by the three species.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”