Corydoras robustus breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Charly EON
My images: 53
My catfish: 23
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 59
Location 1: Bordeaux - FRANCE

Corydoras robustus breeding

Post by Charly EON »

Hello

I've got a few full grown C. robustus, the females are loaded with eggs but I can not trigger them to spawn despite all my attempts (repeeated water changes with cold rain water + raising water level in the same time)

Does someone have experience with this species ?

Charly
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

I read in an article on Ian Fullers website that you could take water from a tank of breeding fish and put it into the cory-tank since this water contained some hormones that could trigger breeding in the coryes.
Charly EON
My images: 53
My catfish: 23
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 59
Location 1: Bordeaux - FRANCE

Post by Charly EON »

Thanks for your answer.

I've tried this way too. One time they were mixed with corydoras sp. baianinho in the same tank for this purpose. The corydoras sp baianinho made eggs the day after the big water change but the robustus nothing.

I was thinking maybe there's a season for this species to breed ? or maybe I 'll have to wait a big barometer pressure drop and/or full moon ? or something else ...

Any idea ?

Cheers

Charly
AOS
Location 1: The Netherlands
Interests: Corydoras

Post by AOS »

Charly EON wrote: I was thinking maybe there's a season for this species to breed ? or maybe I 'll have to wait a big barometer pressure drop and/or full moon ? or something else ...

Any idea ?

Cheers

Charly
Well, that might trigger it. I've noticed, that I have especially a lot of eggs when it starts raining the next day. I don't know if there is really a connection. As far as I know, west-Europe is in a quite high pressure 'zone' at this moment (the start of it, even I, my wife and my collegues at work could feel it by headaches and bad sleeping) so there might be an opportunity there, when the pressure starts to fall.

And this maybe in combination with everything else: fresh softer water, somewhat overfeeding a few days, hormones from another tank, temperature drop...whatever kind of methods.

I've read somewhere that sometimes really the sound or vibrations of falling waterdrops (mimic of rain) in your tank helps.

Almost all of this is just from the books, so I don't know whether it helps. But you can play around with all of this.

Succes!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”