information on pictus cats

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
edward
Location 1: london

information on pictus cats

Post by edward »

following advice on a previous post in speak easy, does anyone know of a good source of information on the above (web/books etc) other than this site?

I saw them at the Lfs the other day, and would like to put some (how many?) in my 55 gal with a 6-7 inch gibbiceps plec. But I have learned to research first or repent at leisure, hence this request.

Particular advice I would like would be with regard to enviroment, filtration, lighting and water conditions, and whether the same conditions would be good for the gibby.

Many thanks in advance for your help
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Well, i's kind of hard to beat this site for info, but you can always try a google search...
They all give you more or less the same info anyway. Pictus cats do best in soft, acidic water. Great with other fishes, as long as they are not small enough to be eaten. They do well in a small school of 4-6.
As for most cats, provide hiding spaces (driftwood and all that jazz).
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Silurus wrote:Pictus cats do best in soft, acidic water. Great with other fishes, as long as they are not small enough to be eaten. They do well in a small school of 4-6.
As for most cats, provide hiding spaces (driftwood and all that jazz).
Plenty of floor area is also good (a sandy base is best) to allow them to forage without constantly encountering each other. High oxygen levels and good filter turnover will help to keep them healthy. Water changes should be at least once a week, and they will quickly point out any deficiencies in your husbandry standards by the tips of their barbels 'withering'. If you see this happening, try and remember the same thing is happening to their gills! If this happens repeatedly it will severely impact the health of the fish and will probbaly result in their death.
They are prone to white spot (ich), and can be sensitive to some medications. Don't buy them when they have just come into the shop, let the retailer do the hard work of treating them and then buy yours once they are over the import stress. You should still ideally quarantine though if you introduce new fish.
They'll eat any fish that will fit into their mouths (I had a three inch fish eat a one inch Otocinclus, as a guide to what is or isn't safe).
Ideal foods are frozen insect larvae and crustaceans, clean safe live foods and good quality dry foods (flake, granular, tablets etc.).

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”