Eheim 2028 in a 85 litre tank...

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Eheim 2028 in a 85 litre tank...

Post by König Löwe »

I am getting the gear for my 85 litre (22 gallons) Hypancistrus zebra breeding tank and i was thinking that instead of using some small external filter and a powerhead, i could just buy a big powerfull Eheim 2028 and get (even) better filtration.

This filter will under ideal conditions pump 1050 liters per hour (apx 270 g/h) and thus i giving the tank a turnover rate of 12 per hour. Will this be too much? I have read that people have bred these fish in tanks with a turnover rate of 20!
noddy
Location 1: Victoria, Australia

Post by noddy »

The zebra pl*eco's come from fast flowing water so i don't think that the flow rate will effect them to much.. but i dont know a great deal about them. Try having a look at this page and i might give you a few ideas http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... _zebra.htm
Have fun and the best of luck
Noddy
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

For my tank (190litres), i'm running a 700l/hr and 1500l/hr filter. That around 11 times. The plecos have no problems, the cories seems to be enjoying themselves too. The only fishes which I think will take some time to adapt were my mollies!
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

An Eheim 2028 for a 22 gallon tank? :shock: If I'm not mistaken, they are rated for upto 180 gallon tanks. I suppose you could do it, but is it really necessary?

Dinyar
König Löwe
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

I usually don't care about what the manufacturer said they are made for. I have an Eheim 2224 (recomended by Eheim for tanks up to 350 litres) on my 250 litre tank and it generates allmost no current in the tank. The filtration is good though.

The thing is, that buying an 2028 instead of a combination of external and powerhead isnt much more expensive, so i though i might just as well buy a big one then I'll allso have a big filter in case i get a bigger tank in the future. Allso, the combination will make everything look very messy with tubes and all sorts of stuff hanging around there.

About the Eheim 2028: (these are for the 2228, but it's practivally no difference in the two)
For tank size up to 600l (168 US gallons)
Pump output 1050l/h
Filter circulation 750l/h
Delivery head 2,00 m Ws
Filter volume 7,3l
Power consumption 25 W
Dimentiones approx. mm 415 x 210 x 210
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

Tank Talk! Tank Talk!
Sari
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland

Post by Sari »

König,
that sounds like a very strong current for 85 litres, but then again, that's what the zebras like, I guess. In 2028 the flow is adjustable, so if you feel it's too much, you can turn it down a bit.

I have two 2028s in my tank and and have nothing but positive comments about them. Very easy to maintain because of the baskets and they have been working perfectly (I have to knock on wood saying that). Very quiet as well - which is good, sleeping next to my tank :D.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

You don't want to see my electricity bill. (Neither does my wife.) When you have several big tanks with lots of lights, filters, etc., you can end up spending lots of money on electricity. Your wallet aside, it's not good for the environment. :)

Besides, I thought only Americans thought bigger was better? :D

Dinyar
König Löwe

Post by König Löwe »

Well, an Aquabee UP 1000 uses 8 watt and an Eheim ecco 2235 uses 15. Together that is 23 W compared to the 25 W of an Eheim 2028. In a year, the latter has a an alltogether powerusage of 219 KW in a year and at a normal norwegian powerprice of 50 øre (0.06 $) per hour that is a total price per year of 110 NOK (14.6 $). Besides, all norwegian power comes from hydro electric power plants :)

The heaters on the other hand...

With this, i end this thread, and mokmu can get a good nights sleep ;)
ikan
Location 1: Australia

Post by ikan »

I think 2028 is good for your tank. You can always adjust the flow if you find it too strong. But more importantly it has large filter media which will be benefitial for your small 85 liters tank. Unless you do very frequent water change I think you will need a good filter. I use 2228 and Eheim internal filter for my ancistrus tank 3'X18"x18" and I turn off the filter when I feed them blood worm, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.
For 85 liters tank with full flow of 2028 I don't think the food will not stay in one spot, your zebra might have to swim hard to chase the food.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Even if the bigger filter chamber would be usefull in the denitrification processes i wouldnt try to create current with the filter...as i understand it the key is to slowly lead the water by the bacteria in the filter...i wonder if the tank would be more stable than with a slow sucking filter and a powerhead creating the current. I always buy small stuff so i can regulate better. If you cant get the zebras to spawn youll wonna try with current and if your filtration is dependent on the flow rate it will lead to water quality changes - with a powerhead or two you could experiment much easier. Just my 2 cents
cheers
Christian

Return to “Tank Talk”