"Amazoniana" as PDF for free

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Walter
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vienna, Austria
Location 2: Vienna, Austria

"Amazoniana" as PDF for free

Post by Walter »

Hi,
the actual issue of "Amazoniana", the phantastic magazine of German MPI (Max Planck Institut) - Limnologie - is online and can be downloaded for free:

http://www.mpil-ploen.mpg.de/mpiltj.htm

BTW: Harald Sioli, outrider of Amazonian ecology research, hast died in october... :(
He was the man, who was responsible for the amicable colloberation between Brasilian INPA and German MPI.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

It seems like that as more Biological Journals go "Online"... (Which was the original rationale for the development of the internet BTW!)

...the further behind I get in what I consider "essential" reading!

Good find.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Walter
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vienna, Austria
Location 2: Vienna, Austria

Post by Walter »

Well,
there´s a big discussion presently, if its good or not for the magazines to go online and let their publications be downloaded for free.

Some online magazines seem to go the way to let the author of an article pay for being published.
I ask myself, who will be published in this case? Only the one, who has the money?
What´s about refereeing if so?
Seems not to be the best way to get quality articles.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Some online magazines seem to go the way to let the author of an article pay for being published.
I ask myself, who will be published in this case? Only the one, who has the money?
This has been around even before the advent of online publications (page charges, the costs of buying reprints).
One can still publish without paying anything. It just makes access for others a little more difficult .
harroh
Location 1: Solingen

Paying for publications

Post by harroh »

As a publisher of ichthyological articles I can only say that every author still can publish for free if he or she wants. 30 reprints are offered for free. More can be bought - a usual practice. Additionally, a PDF can be bought (not for general publication on a web site) with 300 dpi and a 75 dpi one for all interested web users. The price is 15 Euro plus VAT. Too much?

Harro

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”