Peat Fiber / granules

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
dstringf
Location 1: Jersey City, NJ

Peat Fiber / granules

Post by dstringf »

I have a Hagen 304 filter, and am considering adding peat fiber or granules to help, among other things, lower the pH in my tank. My pH is sitting at around 7.4/7.6 without any additives. Does anyone know how much to expect the peat to lower my pH? FYI this is in a 55 gallon tank.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

The softening will be very small, but probably still worthwhile. It takes roughly one pound of peat to effect the pH in a 55 gallon tank. You may see a slight softening of your water but only a very, very slight pH drop, if any.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
dstringf
Location 1: Jersey City, NJ

Post by dstringf »

Thanks Shane!

This helps.. I don't want to shift the pH too much, so this sounds like it will be perfect.
BVS
Location 1: Hertfordshire, UK
Interests: Fishies, overclocking, err.. Detective stories

Post by BVS »

I used to keep Killifish in a 20 gallon tank and used about 3litres of peat loose in the tank. It certainly made it go a dark brown colour, but that was so much the better.

I don't know how much the peat weighed; all I can say is that it is very light when dry! I used gardening moss peat that was guaranteed not to contain any additives and was much cheaper than Hagen or Eheim peat fibres.

My tap water is pH 7.6 and a quite astonishing 20GH, but it lowered the pH to a steady 6.8, although as it was a few years ago I can't say if it had performed any softening. It was certainly good enough to induce my Aphyosemions to spawn :D

The effect wore off after a few months and it was necessary to replace some of it reasonably regularly. It seemed to have some anti-algae action but I wouldn't swear to it. :?

If I were you then I'd only half-fill one of the baskets in your filter and see how that goes for a fortnight before adding any more as the pH may change quite quickly with the water being forced through the peat.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I have them, not in the filter, but buried under the sand, in my riverine setup.

you should see the fish....they really enjoy the yellow water, the pH and the softer water.

As a bonus it "buffers" your water, so once eshtablished, the pH won't peak or drop suddenly anymore.

what backing soda does for Malawi/Tanganyikan fishkeepers, is peat for the South American/West African crowd :wink:

good stuff, definitely.
Valar Morghulis
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Sid,
I could not agree more. In all my planted tanks I lay down a first layer of about 1" of peat. I have noticed that the plants go through a second growth phase once their roots make it down to the peat layer.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

works great, huh?

one drawback (or maybe two); if you have too many plants and need to curb the growth, you have to remove some very careful....

and true diggers cannot be kept in there; the idea of my GroundHog* wallowing in there............ :shock:

*that's my Auchenoglanis :twisted: :wink:
Valar Morghulis
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

i've had bad experiences with peat. lots of expense using aquarium peat (i was too scared to use anything else) and very little results.

i gave up and bought some kent liquid pH-minus. i add 10ml to each 8 gal weekly water change in my 60 gal tank. it takes several weeks (as it should) but the pH creeps down. mine is now a respectable 6.8!

peat does give you a nice tannic stain, but i get that with bogwood anyway.

i recommend that you get a digital pH meter (mine was £30 off ebay). it makes it a lot lot easier to mess around with the pH.

sidguppys technique sounds really good though.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Sid,
It is certainly not a system (using a peat substrate) for diggers, but then these are not really appropriate fish for a heavily planted tank. I never uproot plants, I just cut them back or let them go wild. My planted tank style is "real nature" and not the manicured Amano or Dutch style of planted aquaria.
Racoll,
You are right that peat is a lot of work. If an aquarist is serious about soft water, an RO system is the only way to go. Prices on RO systems have come down A LOT. I picked up a Coralife 55 gpd system with a deionization canister for US $130.00 a week ago. It is a lot of money up front, but goes a very long way towards helping with delicate fishes and breed soft water spp.
-Shane[/img]
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

you're absolutely right shane. buying an RO has been the biggest turning point in my fishkeeping.

it gives you almost total control over your water.

it takes a lot of the worry and guess work out of fishkeeping.
cwindram
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: Massachusetts, USA

Post by cwindram »

An affordable alternative to peat granules sold at the LFS is Sphagnum Moss (not the "fossil" peat which is typically found at garden stores)...you can check this out at
<a href="http://www.mosserlee.com/whatis.html">www.mo
sserlee.com</a>.

I've been using this to soften water and acidify my aquariums with excellent results. This moss can be placed in a mesh bag and suspended in the tank, placed in filter chambers, or boil some and add the boiled water as an "extract" to tank water. Adds humic acid which may be good for plants. My fish get happy when new peat water goes in...I keep community tanks with cardinals, rasboras, corydoras, clown loaches, Otocinclus, and more.

This low tech acidification may be useful, and safer than some chemicals if one only needs to lower pH by .5 or so.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, so be sure <I>you're</I> confident about what you're doing, and exercise caution whenever adding new stuff like this to your tank.

Best wishes,

Chris Windram

Return to “Speak Easy”