bristlenose fry albino and common

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
rsox
Location 1: Atlanta,Ga. USA

bristlenose fry albino and common

Post by rsox »

My pair of bristlenose have been breeding for several months now and each time I get between 20-30 fry. About half of the fry are albino and the others are brown. Is this common, Has anyone else had this happen. The pl*cos were sold to me as common bristlenose.
Rob L14,L27,L46,L81,L114,L204,L264,L52
thefishdaddy
Location 1: California

Post by thefishdaddy »

the fish are heterozygous, both parents carry the albino gene but normally you would get 25% albino and the rest of them should be brown in color
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

And it probably came about from someone keeping an albino with a "normal" bristlenose, getting a spawn of brown ones that went to some shop.

The albino's should breed true from your spawn. You should of course not breed them together, but if you were to get another albino from someone else, you could continue breeding the albino form (should you want to).

Your brown [1] ones are also carrying the albino gene, so they have a chance of breeding into albino if crossed with another "half-breed" albino.

[1] 25% of them will be non-albino carrying, the other 25% will be born albino, and the remaining 50% will carry the gene for albino but not showing it. Something like this: X is normal colouring gene, x is "albino" gene. Your parent's have Xx as the genes, which gives the following combinations:
XX = Normal colouring, not carrying albino gene.
Xx = Normal colouring, potential albino offspring.
xX = Normal colouring, potential albino offspring.
xx = Albino.

If you cross an Xx with an xx, you get three quarters of them albino (xx), and the other quarter Xx. If you cross XX with Xx, a quarter will be Xx and the other three quarters XX, none of them showing albino, but one quarter would have a chance of giving albino offspring with another albino.

--
Mats

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”