pygmy corys and ottos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
angel
Location 1: Cardiff, Wales

pygmy corys and ottos

Post by angel »

Hia all,
I was hoping to get some advice about keeping pygmy corydoras with ottos, since they have such similar colouring. At the moment we've got an S. Angelicus, 5 pandas and 4 ottos in a 120l tank, will the pygmys get lost in such a big tank and would I ever see the ottos again?!!

Thanks
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

¨Hi!
Is the S. angelicus not bothering the other fish too much? Any suspected disapear since he is there!?
Personnally i woud be rather scared of him taaking a snack on the other as they really grow big!!!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I don't kniow how long you have had all those tank mates together but I would not put any C. pygmaeus in with the S angelicus. I will be suprised if it does not bully the rest of tanks inhabitants.

Ian
angel
Location 1: Cardiff, Wales

Post by angel »

Hia all,
Thanks for the replies, they've all been together for about a month now and seem to be getting on ok, there's now a zebra loach in there as well and hopefully a few friends for him in the near future. The S. Angelicus seems to actually like the otos (because they are noticed and not chased away), no missing tank inhabitants as yet but I'll let you know how it goes. So far so good. He/she seems to love playing in the bubbles and is growing really quickly (about 1cm since we got it), any idea how quickly they grow?
Cory_lover
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Melbourne
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Corydoras fanatic

Post by Cory_lover »

er...i wouldn't put pygmy corys in with the S. angelicus....maybe he doesn't mind ottos...but pygmy corys might look like fish fry to him...and that may very well be the 'in' thing to eat right now (to the angelicus)..hahahahhaha
I speak 12 languages fluently. English is my bestest. - Bush

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”