Help before its too late

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

lildunn34 wrote:ok, i wont get a bala shark but i herd that pl*cos and oscars are a good match and before i had this pl*co i had an oscar that was like 8 inch but did because i didnt know how to clean the tank correctly. Tell me names of fishes that are compatible with my pl*co in a 40 gal tank that i can get at petsmart. I didnt have a thing over the filter i dont even know what its called.
OK Lildunn, let's see what we can suggest. A 40 gallon is only barely big enough for a single Oscar, so let's forget that one as well (even though they are cute when small and beg to be fed all the time!).
What are you able to feed your fish?
How often are you able to change part of the water?
What reading material have you got? (there a fairly new book by a guy called David Burochowitz about how to look after an aquarium, I think it looks pretty good, might be worthwhile you buying this before getting any new fish).
Are you sure there aren't any proper aquarium shops near you? Try the telephone directory, see if you can find one that is within travelling distance.

Talking Catfish are pretty fish, won't outgrow a 40 gallon and will live with a Pleco OK. You should be able to read about these elsewhere on Planet Catfish.
Some Cichlids are fairly peaceful and don't grow that big. Keyhole Cichlids are nice fish and won't beat up any of your other fish. In a 40 gallon you could start off with five youngsters and wait to see if you get a pair.
Maybe some Corydoras catfish, a small group as they don't like being in ones and twos.
Then some Tetras, doesn't really matter which. Emperor tetras are active and peaceful, as an example. You should be able to find all these fish at a Petsmart type place, but it'd be better if you write down a list of all the fish you like on your next visit and then people could maybe point you in the right direction.
Pete
lildunn34
Location 1: woodbridge, virginia
Interests: fish and b-ball

Post by lildunn34 »

ok i got a small tiger oscar and i maintained that when the pleco and the oscar get bigger that i will get a bigger tank, right know there both about the same size i heard that oscars a pretty agressive, If you have any advise that i should know about these two babies(2 inich) let me know.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

I dont understand Why you keep asking for advice liddun if you ignore it and do exactly what people advise you against. Dont take me wrong, please. I have myself made spur of the moment descisions and brought a fish with the intention of re-housing it when it is bigger. However, There is always a problem with space or a problem with money and the poor fish suffers. We cant hear them begging for more space but when they die prematurely the guilt lasts for a long time and a fish suffers needlessly.
I really want a shoal of pangassius hypalthalmus, really. But I cant have them because they will be miserable, unhappy and they would die prematurely. And watching fish suffer does not bring me any joy.
I hope you can give your fish the facilities they deserve in the future as the fish you describe may be ok in a smaller tank, I dont know anything about oscars, but I knew someone who had a neglected algae filled oscar tank in his garage for years because there wasnt space in the house. Untill one day they all died.
Good luck

jason
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

Don't believe everything you read in the net to be factual and right. The net is the last place to look for the truth. I used to think like you but eventually saw the light. Make sure that you get a consensus of how people think. Most sites that offer all knowledge and no other opinions are dubious, at most not, entirely accurate. Most of these just know the basics. Be smart --- STOP, LOOK, LISTEN.
wayneminot
Location 1: Dallas metroplex texas usa

Post by wayneminot »

your mean

This sounds like a statement made by a little kid.

Return to “Tank Talk”