Substrate for breeding tanks

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
markyboy22
Location 1: edinburgh

Substrate for breeding tanks

Post by markyboy22 »

I recently posted this on the Speak easy board, but had little reply. I really could do with some more advice from anyone out there, as the tanks are coming next week.
I am presently setting up a couple of breeding tanks and I want to use sand as the substrate, however I am a little shocked at the price the LFS and the majority of other retailers are charging (upward of £15 for a 20kg bag).
I was wandering if it would be fine to use sand bought at the local DIY shop as they have sand that is suitable for childrens play pits, and appears to be of better quality than standard sharp sand or building sand, it also only costs £3. Does anyone have experience of this or should I stick with the LFS and pay through the nose?

PS. Do you think that I may encounter problems with an undergravel setup with a 900l/h powerhead in a 30x12x12 tank eg sand being blasted all over the place?
Cheers MArc
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

Substrates from home centers work fine. They sell river pebbles and sand. Just make sure you wash it throughly, the sand is very dirty. I was planning on using sand, but got a little worried considering that I was using a strong current. If you try sand, and have a strong current, let me know how it works :)
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
aeroflight
Location 1: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Post by aeroflight »

Most people that I've met (mostly through internet boards and such) recommend the use of pool filter sand from a swimming pool shop instead of regular play sand. It's a bit larger and seems to settle much better. A pool shop in my area said it's something like 20 grit silica sand. Most people say you could even use it without having to rinse it first (I'd still rinse). I'm actually getting ready to set up a new 135g tank and am seriously considering using the pool sand.
My wife likes cats.
I like catfish.
wayneminot
Location 1: Dallas metroplex texas usa

Post by wayneminot »

I just bought some river pebbles from a home depot. (which is just a chain of home supply stores for all you peeps outside the usa) I got .5cubic feet for $3.37 us dollars. I rinsed them today and am going to put them in a tank tommorow.
thefishdaddy
Location 1: California

Post by thefishdaddy »

If this is a breeding tank you are trying to set up, why not go for a bare bottom tank much cheaper and easy to mentain.... or you can just paint the outside bottom portion of your tank the color of the gravel you intend to buy....
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I never once thought of going to a pool supply shop for sand...I'm so "ingrained" on going to Home Depot or Lowes.
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

Chances of there being a swimming pool shop in Scotland..............0 :D

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”