L81 orange seam pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
degrassi
Location 1: Edmonton,AB, Canada

L81 orange seam pleco

Post by degrassi »

There are some of these at my LFS and I'm wondering if they would do well in a african peacock tank?my ph is 7.8. I already have a rubbernose pleco in there and he is doing great,no aggresion problems at all. Would it be possible to get a L81 or even a L18 for this tank?And if not,why?
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

degrassi,

Your Ph might be a little high for any type of Peckoltia. Chaetostoma seem to have a higher tollerance for PH than Peckoltia, as they for the most part can only tollerate ph in the low 7's. If you have a tank with a lower PH, it would probably be better. Otherwise I wouldn't risk it personally.
Anders
Location 1: Linkoping, Sweden
Interests: Loricariidae

Peckoltia?

Post by Anders »

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question about water tolerance of the
L081 and L085, but as I understand, the Gold Nugget plecos belong to
Baryancistrus, not Peckoltia. Maybe Peckoltia is used in a broader
perpective, I've seen that Peckoltia has been used for a lot of different
groups such as Panaque, Panaqolous, Baryancistrus etc. I think that
Peckoltia is a group of its own but has earlier been used for all kinds of
plecos.
I hope this was clear as mud. Maybe someone else can clear this out in
more detail :?:
/ Anders
degrassi
Location 1: Edmonton,AB, Canada

Post by degrassi »

I was afraid that that would be the answer. Would it then be possible to have a birstlenose and my rubbernose in the same tank.
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

I can't say for sure about Ancistrus tollarance to a higher PH. I keep mine in a PH around 7.0 and they do fine. I've heard of them being kept in a higher PH without any problem, but can't speek from any experience. But if you are asking how they get along with the Rubbernoses' themselves, no problem. I have kept both together, though they are not currently in the same tank, I had them in the same take until about 3 weeks ago. They got along fine, more tended to ignore each other than anything else. I haven't seen any tussles or show of agression amongst them. In my tank I had 3 Rubbnose (2 male, one female) and 2 Ancistrus (both male, one very dominant). I suppose this would have been as good a test of compatibility as any :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”