Hard decision! Parauchenoglanis....

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Hard decision! Parauchenoglanis....

Post by Sid Guppy »

Went to the regular LFS today, to buy some freeze foods, and LO! and BEHOLD!
three little catfishes wich I haven't seen in years, were looking at me, puppy-like: some sort of Parauchenoglanis/Anaspidoglanis for 5 bucks a piece!
healthy fishes between 5-8 cm in length....
I need more tanks!
Buy them or no?
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

My first impulse would be to buy them (they're cheap at that price), but what have you already got in your tanks?
Any space for them in your existing tanks, or were you going to set up a new tank for them?
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

I was planning to keep them with the Mochokiella's and the Amphilius, but after some serious thinking, I try to keep a lid on my catfish-collecting habits...a shame though! they were really healthy and really cheap, not to mention cool cats. But putting them in the 125G won't please them, as it is full of Tropheus and Triglachromis; and my Phyllo's will probably freak out too, being confronted with huge diggers.
Did some research and they all grow to 20 cm at least (I had Parauchenoglanis panterinus in the past; those got pretty big); too big for a 35G tank....
Maybe I should get some of those Chiloglanis the LFS can get, although I wasn't succesful with those; but they stay small, at the least.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

SG (I wish we could find a more user-friendly name for you!),

Sun Zi (aka, "Sun Tzu", of Art of War fame) said, "Of the thirty-six strategies, walking is the best." ["sanshiliu ji, zou wei shang ji", "walking" here means "not engaging the enemy". The implication is that "walking" is also the most difficult strategy to master.] Congratulations on having learned this difficult skill!

Chilos are admittedly a bit fragile, but nothing an aquarist with your level of experience can't manage. Heok Hee and I have both kept them successfully. Happy to pass on any tips you want.

Dinyar

Return to “African Catfishes”