Metalic deposits in slate?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
martin808
Location 1: preston,england
Interests: fishing

Metalic deposits in slate?

Post by martin808 »

Hi everyone,
Ive recently bought some slate floor tiles from my local hardware store with the intension to smash it up and make small caves for my l46 but when I got it home I noticed a metalic finish to the tiles .Its natural slate with very very small reflective bits almost like a light sprinkling of very fine glitter and what looks like a few small rust spots.Does anybody think it will be safe to use? :?:
"The best thing about being me is their are so many of me" Agent Smith.
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

I hope so Martin as I have got slate siliconed in to a 47 x 24 x 24 and can see little sparkly bits, did not see them when they were dry. :roll:
I think as long as you keep up with the water changes, small amounts on metal in the tank should not be too much of a problem.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

These "metallic" deposits are most likely Mica and Quartz grains which can be found in most sedimentary rocks like slate, sandstone and mudstone.
Quartz is resistant to chemical attack so wont dissolve easily in the water.
Mica and Feldspar are less stable and contain mettalic ions which conect there structures. Chemical weathering can remove these ions causing them to break down.
In high temperatures with acidic water these minerals can break down much more quickly. However, they are very small quantities, and the process is relatively slow.
Rain water for example breaks down these minerals and has a typical ph of app 5.6.
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

Post by SirHelm »

I bought slate rocks from the local hardware store. They also had a "glitter" on them as well. I checked on the MFG website and they did state that it was safe for aqauriums and fish. I have 30 IBS of it in the tank and so far so good! Had it for the past 3 months and no problems at all.

SH
martin808
Location 1: preston,england
Interests: fishing

Post by martin808 »

Thanks for all the replys.It sounds like I can use the slate with not much of a problem, youve saved me from having to redesign my tank after hours and hours of being sat infront of it wondering what to do:!:
"The best thing about being me is their are so many of me" Agent Smith.

Return to “Tank Talk”