Catfish of the month January 2003

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Mika
Location 1: Helsinki,Finland

Catfish of the month January 2003

Post by Mika »

Synodontis granulosus has inteed been bred commercially in eastern europe.Czechs(was that correct name of the country?) has done it.Last summer bred S granulosus were sold at the price of 10?(10£) in Stockholm!!!Couple of those was brought to Finland by one hobbyist and to my knowledge their are actually S granulosus and doing fine.Below is the link to this aquarium exporter which has them on their breeding program.They have also other Synodontis catfishes.We in Finland do receive some commercially bred Synodontis (mostly S schoutedeni)from Russia.Nowadays they have have even crossbred some of those(S decorus* S robbianus)-which isn`t very wise idea.

http://www.profi-aquarium.cz/en/menu.html#
Well i wish i was a catfish
swimmin in a oh, deep, blue sea (Muddy Waters, Catfish blues)
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Crossbreeding is evil

Post by Dinyar »

Commercial breeding has been a very mixed blessing, especially for catfish aficionados. On the plus side, it's great that endangered or rare fish become more available to the hobby without depleting wild stocks. On the minus side, most commercial breeders seem highly irresponsible (to put it mildly) in their breeding -- and especially their crossbreeding -- practices. They are motivated not by principle but merely by naked greed. :evil:

Return to “African Catfishes”