high tank temp. is it dangerous???

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
caril
Location 1: Singapore
Interests: Soccer and Fish Keeping

high tank temp. is it dangerous???

Post by caril »

its getting hotter with the monsoon season over in singapore.
2 of my tanks have water temp reaching 31c.
is it safe for the plecos??? wat can i do to lower the temp???
thanks...
Yew Wee
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

hi!

Depends on the fish you got...

you can do cold water changes but that wont last very long.
you can install a computer vent to cool the surface
not many options
cheers
Christian
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I don't have this problem YET in New York, where it's been unusually cold all winter (it's snowing hard right now), but every summer my tanks get VERY hot (up to 90 F, 32 C for a few days at a time).

There may not be enough good options to cool your tanks, but there are SOME options.

The first thing to keep in mind is that what causes fish stress and death is usually not high temperatures per se but the lower dissolved oxygen levels that higher temps create. So the first -- and relatively simple -- thing to do is add power head(s) to increase the aeration in your tank(s).

Other measures that will reduce tank temps include:

* Leaving the lights off, or reducing the photoperiod.

* If you don't have fish that jump, you can leave the covers open and attach little clip-on fans to the side of the tank that blow down into the water. Or just point a big fan directly at the tank.

* Put ice packs in a plastic bag, float the bag in the tank during the day and put back in the freezer of your refrigerator at night.

* Do more frequent water changes with cold water.

Of course, running room air conditioning is often another option. Can get expensive, bit works well.

It's all hard work and a pain in the butt, but if you do some or all of these things, you should be able to keep your tanks below 30 C even in Singapore weather.

Dinyar
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Hi we have several tanks which are run at high temps usually with discus and most of the cats dont seem to mind this extra heat. As stated dissolved oxygen needs to be kept in check as most fishes metabolic rate will be on overtime, so the fish will need more as a result. I know there are companies that manufacture chillers usually for use on marine aquaria were the lighting generates too much heat I believe they run inline with the pumps (external) I will try and get you the name of the company so you can speak to them if need be and see if they can help.
thefishdaddy
Location 1: California

Post by thefishdaddy »

nitrification uses a lot of O2, reducing the amount of food given to your fish will also reduce the need to produce more O2 due to the low amount of ammonia produced buy your fish....
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Caril, you dont need a heater then!! :D

Anyway, your tank is not directly near the window, why is it so hot? You dont have a surmerged powerhead right!
caril
Interests: Soccer and Fish Keeping

Post by caril »

one of my tank has a submerged powerhead, i think this contribute to the temp rise.
i have raise the output of oxygen in the tank and hopefully the plecos are alright.
Yew Wee
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Post by philtre »

hi caril ....

recently I added a thermometer to my tank and have realised that it's usually 32degrees. sometimes it even hits 34!!!!

However, the rest of my tanks out in the living room have lower temperatures - hovering around 20++30. (had thermometers all along)

couldit be the location of your tank as well? I know the one with the higher temperature is near to a window, so that could contribute as well.

btw, you can just buy those cooling fans used for computers, fix them on a rack and use that to cool the temperature of the tank. very effective! three feet planted tank, two of those and the temperature's constantly around 25 degrees!

hope that helps.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Make sure your tank isn't too near a wall as well. Them walls can get real hot as they conduct the heat from the outside walls of the building that have been baking in the tropical sun the whole day.
The walls of my room in Singapore were still warm to touch late at night, even though there was no direct sunlight entering the room.

Return to “Tank Talk”