want a catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SamuraixBob
Location 1: Orangevale CA
Interests: aquariums, friends, whatever

want a catfish

Post by SamuraixBob »

HI I want to add a catfish to my 55 gal cichlid tank. The only occupant in my tank is a Green Severum. Its the most peacful cichlid iv'e ever owned. Its about 11 in or so in length and it has a really tall body, much like a discus. It has a small mouth like a discus too. I am looking for a catfish that has intresting behavior and has "cool" markings and colerations. I dont really want a pleco, i want something with long whiskers like most predatory catfish have.

i posted this again because i dont really know where i should of posted this question.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

I should check the Cat-e-log if I were you. But if a nice active cat with long whiskers is to your liking; get a Pimelodus pictus. It'll be OK with your Severum, and the waterparameters are equal, since Pims and Severums share their habitat, in a way.
a single Pim won't show much however, and 55G is big enough to hold 1 big, easy going cichlid and say, 3 Pims. They're much more active then!
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Or you could get an ornate pim (<i>Pimelodus ornatus</i>). Cool pattern, long barbels. Just what you want in a catfish.
SamuraixBob
Location 1: Orangevale CA
Interests: aquariums, friends, whatever

thanks

Post by SamuraixBob »

thanks for the help. now all I need to do is find them. my lfs will probably special order them for me. The only problom that comes to mind is that i put salt in my tank to help fight off parasites and boost my fishes immune system. When my friend had piscus salt hurt them or stressed them out. will this proove to be a problom?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”