Do hypancistrus generally get along?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Connie
Location 1: Illinois

Do hypancistrus generally get along?

Post by Connie »

I am planning on picking up 2, L004s tomorrow and after reading about sexing them it looked as if they had a male and female.
I would also like to get an L066 and put it in the same tank.
I have a small L270 which I have seen maybe 3 times in the year I have had it as it stuffs itself up in a fake tree limb I have in the tank, I would also like to put him in too.
What do you all think?
The Q tank would be a 29 gallon which also has an L114 in it.
Connie
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

I don't think that should pose a problem whereattitudes are concerned. It is the accidental spawning of cross-bred species that seem to bother most aquarists. The species has unfortunately been cross-bred by accident when placed in the same tank. It is normally not "natural" for different species of the same genus to be in the same tank? :?

Somebody come in and help me here. Yann?
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well the only thing that worries me is the size of the tank so far, not because of the 4 Hypancistrus sp that you are planning to put in but rather with the L114 that is already in , this fish will be way to big for such tank.
Have in mind that L66 will grow up to 15 cm!
L04 up to 12-14cm
L270 up to 15 cm
All the size are TL!
L66 is rather peacefull, L270 is as well, but L04 is a bit more territorial, the other 2 might suffer a bit.
L114 is really nothing to do in that tank, even if he is still small or young , at equal size I don't think the Hypancistrus would make it over him!

Regarding possible Crossbredding, I doubt it might happen because the 3 species are really a lot different, either in body markings or body colour, still the risk 0 in such case does not exist, especially when mixing fishes from a same genus!
If such thing should happen I can only encourage you on not trying to raise any young!
I won't go further on such debate as it has already been widely discuss!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Connie
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Connie »

Thanks for the info.
Actually right now I have 2, 29 gallons which are pretty much empty, In the one 29 gallon I have the L114 and an L29 this tank is just a Q tank and they will be in a 125 gallon in 3 weeks or so.
I have read they are both a bit aggresive and would do ok in a 125 gallon.
If not one can go into a 55 gallon.
In the other 29 gallon I have 2 gold marble bristlenoses which I can out the L04s in.
They would then be put in a 55 gallon when the quaretine period is over.
I can skip the others for now and figure it out from there.
Connie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”