Platytropius

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Platytropius

Post by Dinyar »

Saw an unusual catfish at an LFS (New World Aquarium in Manhattan) today. It was labeled as "Platytropius sp. ?" Looked like a silvery, slightly deeper bodied Debauwi cat. About 2-3". They were swimming in mid-water in a little group of three, the way that Debauwis or glass cats do. If they had not been so expensive -- $30/each -- I'd have bought all three, but I had too many questions to buy such expensive fish on impulse. Never even heard of the genus before!

Found these pix of Platytropius spp. on the web.

The fish I saw looked more like the first diagram, but can't say it looked exactly like this. The "?" after the name at New World suggests they were just making an educated guess. But it's possible the fish I saw were juvenile specimens.

Can anyone (Silurus?) add to my knowledge of these fish? Worth buying just one?

New World also had a small number of Glyptothorax that reportedly came in on Tuesday and were all sold by Thursday. They say the fish may still be available on their wholesaler's list. I've asked them to re-order if they see it again.

Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

There are three species of <i>Platytropius</i>: the two species as figured, and <i>P. siamensis</i>, which has a much flatter head, making it look like a very large <i>Pseudeutropius</i> (I can provide a scan if interested). I highly doubt that it is <i>P. siamensis</i>, though, as this species is believed to be extinct in the wild. Intensive collecting efforts by Thai icththyologists in recent years have failed to find a single fish (the fish was last collected in the 1970s and no new material has been obtained since).
Interesting catfish, as Asian schilbeids are not commonly encountered in the trade. But $30 per fish is kind of expensive.
Damion
Location 1: USA

Post by Damion »

Saw something at lfs identical to the first pic which was labeled as "grasscutter"catfish
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Grasscutter cat is the common name often given to <i>Schilbe mystus</i>, an African species.
Same family, but from different continents.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

In an off-list exchange, Dinyar and I have determined that the fish in question is not <i>Platytropius</i>, but <i>Clupisoma garua</i>.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

So is this a suitable "aquarium fish", Silurus? Gets pretty big, I gather, or is FB = BS?

Dinyar
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Fishbase is right, they are too large to be suitable aquarium fish, especially given the fact that they are open water fish that need plenty of swimming room.
Maximum reported size is 850 mm TL, however.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”