Breeding problems with ancistrus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Croon
Location 1: Australia
Interests: CICHLIDS AND CATFISH

Breeding problems with ancistrus

Post by Croon »

I am not a pro at keeping catfish but i have bred ancistrus species a few times.
My current new group consists of a male at 14 cm , 1 female at 13 cm and a huge female at 15.5cm. the smaller female is very ripe with eggs and about 2 weeks ago started to go into the males cave after the lights went out...they then seemed to shuffle around a bit...this lasted for 3 days then the female stopped doing this...and was still very fat...no eggs were layed and i know this because i can see into the cave at an angle. the female has now payed no attention to the male and the male has payed none in return...the female is getting a little bit fatter and has now got a fairly large lump around her anus... ( past females got this also but they spawned within a few days and it was gone.) It looks less and less like they will spawn and the larger female isnt interested in the male even though he is dominant over her . i know for sure that they are the same species.

whats going on? should i try separating them for a week ?

~Croon
Keepin fish is like being a mini god :D
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

If the female did not spawn it is because she find something wrong, either with the male or the cave, she might have been disturbed by something. Have you done something special while she was inthe cave, have you look in with a spot light for exemple...
You might want to try to stimulate them, by simulating a rainy season, it might help them to spawn. Try to avoid looking in while the female and the male are in...just let them do their thing, you can check afterward!

Are you sure she is full of egg and not being overfed??

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”