Catfish like you never seen before...GUARANTEED!!!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
vborker
Location 1: NY

Catfish like you never seen before...GUARANTEED!!!

Post by vborker »

Here is the story in a nutshell.

My girl decides to put an orange toy scuba diver into the tank. My VERY large catfish decides that it may taste good.
He swallows the thing and lives with it in his stomach for about 2 weeks. We thought he was going to die. BUT in a turn of events the sword that the scubaman is holding peirces into the bottom of the stomach and puts a hole inside the fish. 2 Months later, he is more energetic then he ever was. He is living with a rather large objeect in his stomach and he is eating and going about his normal daily business just fine. Probably even more hyper then he once was. This is too freeken crazy.. Just thought you guys would appreciate this craaaaaazyness..

Check out the pics.

http://www.decormyhome.com/catfish/Picture%20157.jpg
http://www.decormyhome.com/catfish/Picture%20158.jpg
http://www.decormyhome.com/catfish/Picture%20159.jpg
http://www.decormyhome.com/catfish/Picture%20160.jpg
http://www.decormyhome.com/catfish/Picture%20165.jpg

You may also watch a VIDEO of him in action if you think I manipulated the pictures to make it look fake.

Here is the CATFISH VIDEO

http://www.decormyhome.com/catfish/Picture%20197.avi

Enjoy!!!
catfishbiotope
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)

catfish

Post by catfishbiotope »

Why would anyone think that was faked?
Good to see posting photos took priority over medical attention :(
Get a life.
vborker

I did seek medical attention

Post by vborker »

A marina biologist at the NY Aquarium had indicated that it will cost $1500 for surgery. If you are willing to pay for it I am willing to make it happen.
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

Change the girl man. This is freaking awful :(

Regards.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

Vborker, why did you just say that to yourself?
vborker

Post by vborker »

say what to myself?? I dont understand what you mean
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

this is not just very sad for that fish; it also is extremely outrageous and downright revolting that you treat the whole issue as a joke and on top of it try to extort money from people by playing on their ethics when it comes to injured fish.

you should
A: be ashamed of yourself! or maybe you don't know such emotions due to the complete lack of any morals whatsoever?
B: be banned ASAP, because this kind of behaviour (turning a badly treated and badly injured fish into a freakshow and trying to rob people of their cash) definitely drags the planetcatfish down bad :cry: :evil:

I've seen a lot of bad stuff happening in more than 30 years of experience with fishkeeping, dumb or neglecting fishkeepers and unscrupulous LFS personell, but this is definitely a new low.
not good
:(
Valar Morghulis
pureplecs
I've donated: $40.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 2: USA, Florida

Post by pureplecs »

Oh My... :cry:
synoguy
My cats species list: 44 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cornwall, UK

Post by synoguy »

Typically i would refrian from replying to such a post, but this is awefull to see a beautifull fish such as an RTC like this, and for you to think that we would apreciate seeing this, is just wrong. I know there are many thoughts on whether fish feel pain, but i feel that to a certain extent they must, and am damn sure that they feel discomfort. To alow such a thing to happen is just bad husbandry of a fish that to keep healthy needs alot of care.

[Edited to remove initail angry comments (btw i typed before i thought and i apologise)]

Not to mention now this fish has a forign object not just embedded in its stomach but indeed passing through the stomach wall and protruding outside of the wall. Every time it brushes against something, or every time it gets starteld and catches that on something it risks not only further injury but also infection and more discomfort. Who knows how much damage will be caused long term by this.

One has to wonder exactly what kind of a future this poor animal has.

I apologise if i sound harsh but thats my feelings on the subject.

Simon.
Last edited by synoguy on 30 Jun 2006, 13:28, edited 2 times in total.
Simon
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

My VERY large catfish
Nah!! using the decor,heater/stat and plastic plants as a guide to size it looks like you have a small

As these large preditory Catfish like to scower the substrate for freshwater crabs and similar, those plastic plants may be next!

A marina biologist at the NY Aquarium had indicated that it will cost $1500 for surgery. If you are willing to pay for it I am willing to make it happen.
I have to say that I hope this was asked in jest!
if not you have come to the wrong site!
unless you would like me to pay a visit and tell you what you are doing wrong, re- large cat husbandry around £2000 should cover my expenses
(JOKE :( )

AS you see we sometimes can make non-serious comments too, the problem is whats a jest in one country could be an insult in another, and as this site has a worldwide membership, asking for money (even in jest)is a no-no here.

Please see the rules. :)
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 36
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

vborkers post was in reply to a post which has since been deleted, so the moral indignation is misplaced and unconstructive.
vborker

Post by vborker »

You people are all fish-psychos.. I didnt mean to make this a mockery of the poor catfish.. I was really upset that this happened.... And still am.. If I had the loot I would def fix this fix and get a surgeon to do a surgery....
zenyfish
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Orange County, California, USA
Location 2: Orange County, California, USA

Post by zenyfish »

I wonder if netting the fish and cutting off the arm with a wire cutter will help?

I've read these fish regurgitate inedible objects. That arm acts like a barb on a hook.
vborker

Post by vborker »

No this wont help this is what I thought myself when the thing was inside of him. We netted him and tried to squeeze and push it out of the mouth but it didnt work. (and his breath stunk!).. So if I cut off the arm it will be the same issue.. I think since he is alive now and much better then he was last month i feel its best I leave it as it unless I get him the surgery.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

catfish like you've neverseen before

Post by apistomaster »

There may be a viable option for this red tail cat's problem. Fortunately the problem is something it can live with for awhile. Here is my suggestion.
Order some quinaldine fish anesthesia and put him under for what inevitably will be extremely stressful for the fish.
Push the belly in and remove as much of the protrusion as possible.
Use a long nosed hemostat to put down it's throat to the gut.
Try to get a grip on the object and gently work it back out the way it went down.
If you have been successful in removing the foreign object treat him with antibiotics in a quarantine tank and don't begin feeding the fish until you see at least some healing around the puncture wound.
This procedure has a chance because of the fish's size and the object has remained in the gut. Very large catfish can endure a lot of trauma and survive. Fisherman of N.A. giant cats like flatheads, channel, and blue cats can tell true tales of their catch surviving over night in a gunny sack after they have swallowed hooks and come back alive after being tossed in a watering trough. The most dangerous part for the fish is probably dosing the anesthesia accurately.
It should be done with planning and deliberation. Once you start, do not get squeamish and stop. This fish will die if you don't remove the foreign object. Doing something is better than allowing the situation to continue. That would be cruel.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Fella
Location 1: UK

Post by Fella »

Excuse my naivety, I can't even vaguely to pretent to know a lot about catfish husbandry or medical procedures, but would the possiblity of anaesthetising the fish, clipping the arm off, and then feeding the fish animal fats (in order for it to vomit) be a viable option?

It's terrible to see a fish in distress like that.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeper.com

Check now for aquatic interviews (Including with planetcatfish's own Julian Dignall), forums, articles, live chat and more!
Jorge
Location 1: Madrid (España)

Post by Jorge »

Poor fish :cry:
Kana3
Location 1: Melbourne, Australia
Interests: Almost anything within my field of vision.

Post by Kana3 »

I gather that in order to pull the Scuba-Man back up though the throat, that there is plenty of space there. ie, no little sphincters and such, like we have ?

Personally, I'd be more comfortable with enlarging the hole with a neat scalpel cut, and pulling the poor bloke out straight through the side.
whiteymoza
My images: 1
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: U.K.!!!

Post by whiteymoza »

Whoa! the first flaming I have seen on planetcatfish! I think thats pretty sick you shouldnt have any cheesy decorations like that in a tank especcially with an RTC around! that was just asking for trouble!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 933
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

RTCs do this all the time, I guess this one is more disturbing because it's a plastic diver and the photos are graphic.

This post has the potential to get pretty heated. Unless you know a vet who works for free, I'd refrain from posting.

As this post is in the speak easy however, I'm not going to lock it unless it drops down to mudslinging.

Jools

PS IME, Most common family of catfish found for sale on eBay - you guessed it - Pimelodidae...
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Jools wrote:PS IME, Most common family of catfish found for sale on eBay - you guessed it - Pimelodidae...
And my guess would be that they are of the larger varieties, not pictus-cats and such... ;-)

--
Mats
vborker

Post by vborker »

If I try to take the scuba-man out of the side of the fish from the same hole that is currently there maybe expand it??.. what do you think the chances of survival will be?? I mean the stomach will start to fill up with water right??

But when he eates the mouth fills up with water doesnt it? I mean its a fish.. ?? I dont know what to do with this guy. He seems fine.. like nothing is bothering him. When he was in trouble you could see it.. The stomach had the impression of the scuba and he was just laying on a rock and all upset .. Now he is totally himself...... Maybe its not bothering him??
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

MatsP wrote:
Jools wrote:PS IME, Most common family of catfish found for sale on eBay - you guessed it - Pimelodidae...
And my guess would be that they are of the larger varieties, not pictus-cats and such... ;-)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0002773904

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

vborker wrote:If I try to take the scuba-man out of the side of the fish from the same hole that is currently there maybe expand it??.. what do you think the chances of survival will be?? I mean the stomach will start to fill up with water right??

But when he eates the mouth fills up with water doesnt it? I mean its a fish.. ?? I dont know what to do with this guy. He seems fine.. like nothing is bothering him. When he was in trouble you could see it.. The stomach had the impression of the scuba and he was just laying on a rock and all upset .. Now he is totally himself...... Maybe its not bothering him??
From the documentation I've read from the now defunct Red Tail owners club, waiting for an obstruction to pass naturally is the best course of action.

Jools
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

Do you understand what regurgitation means? if you cut the arm off, the fish will (stressfully) vomit the Diver back out

I feel this would be the best way to deal with it
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

pictus_man_77 wrote:Do you understand what regurgitation means? if you cut the arm off, the fish will (stressfully) vomit the Diver back out

I feel this would be the best way to deal with it
Who are you talking to pictus man?

What experience or literature leads you to offer this advice?

AFAIK, regurgitation means "up from the stomach" not "up from the lower intestine" where this diver clearly resides.

Jools
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

i think early on in this topic some people really jumped on this guy hard, i dont think he meant to be funny about it, just share it with the world. As for askin for the $1500 for pay'n for the operation, come on it was just sarcasism. But yes very painful to look at :( .

Kev
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

kev wrote:i think early on in this topic some people really jumped on this guy hard
I think this is caused by the title of this topic; it sounds like the freak show on funfairs (women with beards, siamese triplets etc. and the catfish that ate the scuba man).
However, I too don't think vborker was aiming at sensation.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Marc van Arc wrote:
kev wrote:i think early on in this topic some people really jumped on this guy hard
I think this is caused by the title of this topic; it sounds like the freak show on funfairs (women with beards, siamese triplets etc. and the catfish that ate the scuba man).
However, I too don't think vborker was aiming at sensation.
The original post was poorly written, it looked sensationalist to me.

Nearly all RTC owners don't have a medium (3-5 yrs) or long term (10+ yrs) plan for keeping their fish. So, in my opinion, "some people" are quite right to jump in. They would have been out of line replying to a title of "please help my RTC" or something along those lines posted in the SA cats forum, but the post sounded like it was trying to make the issue something cool and interesting.

It's also posted in this informal forum so it's going to attract more flak.

I mean, if vborker can't afford $1500 (£750) for the vet, why did he buy an RTC? How on earth is he going to afford the poor fishes upkeep longer term with a budget of under $1500?

Jools
synoguy
My cats species list: 44 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cornwall, UK

Post by synoguy »

Jools wrote: I mean, if vborker can't afford $1500 (£750) for the vet, why did he buy an RTC? How on earth is he going to afford the poor fishes upkeep longer term with a budget of under $1500?

Jools
I have to agree with Jools, I would love to be able to keep an RTC and provde for it, but I know i could never afford the upkeep and provide for it.

Also he had posted about this in What's my catfish? as well and in that post he also sounded very much like he was asking for the money to be donated to him, so i think thats a big reason for many people jumping on him....

Anyway my previous post on this topic was rather harsh when it shouldnt have been, but it was a reaction to the way that he had written his posts in both forums, I kind of typed before i thought through what I said :?

With that said I have a little knowledge about fish surgery (and I really mean little :wink:) and I think Jools is right about letting it pass naturally. However im not sure how that would happen with its arm still sticking out through the skin, and I would be concerned about secondary infections to that wound too, as it already looks relativly inflammed.

-------
Simon

Return to “Speak Easy”